Thread: Why I sold a load of rifles and kept my 250 Savage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a firm believer in the little .250 Savage. I don't think a finer more pleasant gun to shoot exists. In fact I often wonder why the .243 was ever invented as the .250 Savage is more efficient, recoils less and provides almost identical performance. Yeah the .243/6mms have higher ballistic coefficients and can beat the .250 in wind drift and drop but in all practical hunting distances with each caliber the difference is very slight. I have a 1916 model 99 takedown model and have built a few bolt guns in .250 for my self, my wife and my nephew and they have proven to be more than capable. I have killed lots of coyotes, my largest coues deer at 667 yards and a feral hog. My nephew took a large cow elk at 200 yards and dropped it in its tracks. With todays powders and a 115gr Berger bullet the little .250 is a highly capable cartridge.

Ah men to that Stomp442! I also love my 250. I picked up an American Classic a few years back for a song. It is easily the prettiest rifle in my collection. Put a Weaver Classic 4 Power on top of mine and it carries and points like a champ. It may not roll the deer over like a 30-06 but if you are patient and use good hunting skills, proper judgement, and marksmanship it will never let you down. Sav 250 I will also hang on to mine till the end!