I don't even know why I'm doing this other than just to do it, but here goes. For some reason I want to build a .460 S&W Magnum bolt action rifle. What got me thinking was a creation called the 45 Raptor, which is basically a .460 cartridge with a .308 case head made with intentions of using it in an AR10 platform. I bought an Axis to build on figuring I wouldn't have too much $$ in it if there was some sort of bad thing happen. I ordered a couple of cheap barrel blanks from Green Mountain and rented a .460 reamer. If it really all works out I might get a custom reamer made just for the occasion. I turned the blanks down far enough to thread for a small shank Savage and then chambered them. I got a couple of .460 cases from a friend and turned the heads down to work with a .308 bolt head. I'm debating on maybe opening up the bolt face to magnum dimensions and trying the cartridges with the rim intact. I took it out today for a smoke test and luckily nothing too exciting to report. I started toward the bottom of the book data using H110 and loaded 1 cartridge with 46 and the other with 47 grains. I'm using 240gr Hornady magnum bullets. No optic mounted yet as I just wanted to see if I had a functional gun. I'll try 48 and 49 grains next time out. Recoil was pretty stout, but kind of expected that. Decided it definitely needed a muzzle brake, so used a JP I had laying on the bench. We'll see how well it works next time out. I'm going to have to shorten the magazine follower and make some sort of a feed ramp block for the end of the magazine to get the wide mouth cartridges to feed. Now I need to get some more brass to play with.

This shows where I plan to cut the follower and add a feed ramp

the rifle so far