Since I'm a bit new to the board - I'll start with a bit of explanation. I've reloaded ammo for decades, don't shoot competitively, shoot for hobby at the range and hunting. Through those decades I've done extensive load workup with components - but I've never considered myself or my procedures to be at an advanced level.

Which brings me to the explanation - current efforts are to learn some of the finer details of reloading, and what improvements can I make by adding steps that I've previously not performed. In that process - I'm just starting the process of neck turning, haven't really gotten a firm plan for neck tension, getting the tools to measure seating depth off the ogive instead of the meplat, and looking into concentricity of loaded rounds.

I just purchased the Hornady bullet concentricity gauge, and took some of my loaded rounds to measure runout. Not sure if I'm surprised, but measurements on my loaded rounds are showing a level of error that I'm taking some steps to correct.

I grabbed some of my 22-250 handloads, and I get .010-.012 run out pretty consistently, up to .015-.016 on the worst runout. Nothing better than .009. I'm able to adjust the runout down to .001-.002 with Hornady tool.

My question is - how big of a difference does this level of runout make on a target? Has anyone ever tested loaded rounds to compare the grouping potential? Is this level of "not precise" in my reloads .5MOA, more, less?

I know, I could go to the range and fire them to find out myself, problem is I rebarrelled my 22-250 to a 250AI so I don't have the gun to shoot for the results. Plus, it's raining at the moment, so my shooting time is on the forum. I was just working with these cartridges because I am going to pull the bullets and resize the brass for the 250AI. A replacement 22-250 is off into the future.

Any comments or suggestions on reloading for accuracy for me that has reloaded extensively, but not become familiar with advanced techniques are welcome. Through reading these forums and other articles I am tooling up and looking into things like neck turning, bullet concentricity, and I intend to get either some Lee Collet Dies or bushing dies to see if I can tighten up groups, and maybe accomplish better accuracy for longer distance shooting. Is this a good area for me to move my reloading skills into a more advanced level? Or should I focus on something else?