Thread: Colorado pot.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I'm looking at this issue from another perspective. While it may be legal for consumption in some states, do businesses still drug test for pot? For example, where I work, if I fail a drug test and test positive for pot, I'll be fired. Can businesses still fire someone for testing positive for pot in states where it is legal?
    At least in some businesses, such as those who drug test to meet federal requirements like DOT for instance, yes. As an example, alcohol is legal here but if I were to show up at work even very very mildly intoxicated, and get tested and blow a .03 or above, I would be sent home and almost certainly fired. Essentially zero tolerance. Same way with illegal drugs.

Edzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I'm looking at this issue from another perspective. While it may be legal for consumption in some states, do businesses still drug test for pot? For example, where I work, if I fail a drug test and test positive for pot, I'll be fired. Can businesses still fire someone for testing positive for pot in states where it is legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    At least in some businesses, such as those who drug test to meet federal requirements like DOT for instance, yes. As an example, alcohol is legal here but if I were to show up at work even very very mildly intoxicated, and get tested and blow a .03 or above, I would be sent home and almost certainly fired. Essentially zero tolerance. Same way with illegal drugs.
    They test here in Canada for some jobs like railway engineers, Heavy equipment operators in the Alberta oil patch, and other jobs. If they were to test and fire someone chances are if they have a medicinal reason or doctors note the human rights tribunal would quash the firing. If you can believe it an RCMP officer, In fact he was a Corporal, got a doctors note to have pot. He was subsequently ordered to surrender his uniform. He was also off on leave for PTSD. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...-his-red-serge