Yes, I know that several companies now make wood/laminated stocks for the Axis.

But I was looking over some of the older posts, from BEFORE those stocks were available, and seeing that several people had tried (with varying degrees of success) to make their own wood/laminated stock. Their success seemed to depend on their experience/skill, as well as the tools available to them for the inletting. In fact, the inletting seemed to be the sticking point for success or failure.

Now, I was also reading thru some generic "stock-making" threads on another board, and someone (can't remember who now) had made some rimfire stocks by inletting a simple "box" shape into the action area (without all the nooks and crannies, depth changes, and fiddly little bits that make up the challenging parts), then using bedding compound to seat the action. He basically used the bedding compound to "stand in" for the finely fitted wood areas.

Granted, this was for a .22LR gun...but could the same principle be applied to a moderate power centerfire (.223, .243, .270, .308)? Wouldn't that make creating your own stock simple? And, using this principle, wouldn't a laminated stock be VERY simple by pre-cutting the interior layers with both the barrel groove and the inletted box?

Of course, I could be totally wrong...