Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
I really wanted my Falcon Menace 5.5-25 scope in 56mm. The price is the same as the 50mm objective. Weight is only 2.5 more ounces. It must be mounted slightly higher. No problem there.

It was back ordered from the UK) so I decided to get the 50mm which was in stock.

The dealer, SWFA, told me:
1) A 56mm objective would give me no difference at all as far as eye strain. My eyes are old and get tired fast behind a scope.

2) A 56mm is LESS forgiving as far as getting a good picture (ie no scope shadow)

I have read in several places that both statements are wrong and the total opposite is true. SWFA is supposed to know things like this.
So, what is the real truth?

I was really hoping the 56mm would give me a bit of less eye strain vs a 50mm.
I was hoping for an easier to attain sight picture (no shadow) with a 56mm objective.

I dont suppose it matters much. Even if both of the above are false, I still had no idea how many weeks it would take to get the 56mm in stock. But if I am not thrilled with the 50mm, I may sell it and get the 56mm taking a bit of a loss, but getting what I want. Or not?

I could use some help. Thanks
I didn't read through any of the other replies so this might be repetitive, but ...

Properties will vary from scope to scope as the internals (how they're arranged and spaced apart) will dictate performance more than any exterior feature (tube dia, obj. dia, etc.), so a blanket statement that this or that feature is better for this or that on ALL optics is rarely ever true. This is why some scopes from a given brand/model line are great and others from the same brand/model line aren't.

The only thing a larger objective lens will get you is better light gathering capability in low-light situations and a slightly larger exit pupil. Under "normal" shooting conditions the human eye won't be able to tell any discernible difference between a 50mm and 56mm.

Eye strain is more a factor of lens clarity, resolution and contrast, and assuming both the 50 and 56mm use the same quality of lenses SWFA is correct in stating that one will be no better than the other in that regard.

As far as being less forgiving, the scope shadow you speak of is typically caused by poor eye alignment (to high/low, left or right, or to close/far from the eye piece). Given the 56mm would need to be mounted higher, and as such would affect one's ability to get a proper and consistent cheek weld on a stock with a non-adjustable comb, I would tend to agree with SWFA's claim that it would be less forgiving.