OK, I LOVE Savage rifles, owning more than 13 Axis models alone! Yep, also have some M12s, M25s, etc.
However, I gotta tell ya, the 300 AAC / Blackout, has become my new favorite out of 40 ctg, that I reload. Yep. FORTY.

Why? I guess it's all about efficiency..... I have even made my own wildcats, one called the 22-204 AI, it is based on a lowly 223 Axis rifle I rechambered and it is fantastic. And NO, it's NOT a 224 Rem Mag!!!!

However, let me give you a short experience with the 300 Blk.

I have a private range with different targets from 10 to 300 yards. I have two 300 Blk rifles.
#1 is an AR-15 based (for now) on a Colt Hbar lower and a Bravo Company 16" upper. It has just a red dot sight. My PSA lower is in transit.
#2 is a new Axis 223, which I pulled the bbl and put on a Skinner HB 22" tube.

Today, I was at the range sighting in a new scope on the Axis. Working for my buddy's farm, we have LOTS of 2 1/2 gal heavy plastic jugs that are scrap.
I filled one full of H2O and at 130 yards, I hit it dead ctr with a 168 gr Hornady #30452. It caused a nice leak, both sides. I immediately switched to a Hornady #3015 110 Gr round nose and hit the jug about 3" lower.
The jug exploded.

Not wanting to get into power/charge weights, I just wanted to show, that this little round will do it all. From max penetration to explosive performance. It's awesome! AND it can be quiet: aka: 300 Whisper.......

I was reading a review a while back about a comparison of the 7 TCU versus the 300 AAC for shooting IHMSA. Although the 7 TCU launched it's 140 gr bullets supersonic (almost 2X), it lost almost 900 fps by the time it got to 220 yards (ram). The 300 AAC using a 150 gr subsonic bullet, lost only 90 fps. Yep, pushing those pills fast, has it's disadvantages! I don't have a 7 TCU, I shoot a 6.5 TCU in both handguns and A rechambered Axis rifle with a McGowan SS bbl.

I load a LOT of varmint ctgs in my Savage rifles and also shoot our M107A1 Barrett (50 BMG) and Springfield Armory M1A 308.... Just for reference....

BTW, the Axis 300 Blk has a threaded bbl for the 220 Sierra MKs which are SUBSONIC, wink............

Have fun, this is just an amazing little ctg and it's become VERY popular, for many reasons! Thank you, J D Jones!!!!!!!!.

ron