Thread: Good Lord, Savage Is Crap!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Josh Smith

Good Lord, Savage Is Crap!

Hi Folks,

Around 2008-2009 I bought a MkII BTVS. I liked it well enough.

Well, the barrel was canted in the channel and I had to straighten it. Then I liked it well enough.

Until the sear started slipping. The trigger was apparently not heat treated well and the sear mating surface on the trigger was decidedly mushroomed and distorted.

I parked it for a bit. I played with the trigger on and off, but not very seriously.

A couple weeks ago a decided to resurrect it. It is a good-shooting rifle when things aren't breaking. A new, properly heat-treated trigger was a must, so I ordered a Rifle Basix.

I was aware of some bouncing going on when the bolt was closed. I figured I'd look into this when installing the trigger.

I washed grease away (I keep camming surfaces greased) and found this:

After the extremely rude woman I got at Savage Rimfire last time I called (about the trigger) I'm not about to call them again.

I can't believe Savage (Lakefield) would make a piece like this, this soft. This is negligent. It's the thing that keeps the firing pin in check. If it were to break at the wrong time, it could cause an out-of-battery ignition.

You see, the partial failure shown above allows an override of the sear. The sear bounces the trigger away, and if it were to do this and break before the lug were locked, it would cause an out-of-battery discharge.

It'll be interesting to get this thing out and see how hard it is. I figure I'll either make a new guide pin (as Savage calls it) or have it made -- I've not decided. Looks like there's no buying a new one. Numrich is out, anyway, and I can't find any other sources.

Guys, this is ridiculous. I've never seen a rifle in such condition that it constantly needs major repairs. I love the way this thing shoots, but dang, it's just a piece of junk.

All the cutting oil and metal shavings it had in it when I took possession (purchased new, special order!) should have been my first clue.

Never have I seen a rifle made this cheaply. Ever.

Just something else to watch, for those of you who have Savage MkII or Model 93 rifles.

Regards,

Josh
    Last edited by Josh Smith; 03-13-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: pixelated watermark to comply with rules