Thread: Good Lord, Savage Is Crap!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think shipping on your dime keeps them from receiving items for warranty work that was no fault of Savage. What lubricant do you use on your bolt? How often do you clean your bolt? Rimfire rifles need a good scrubbing and lubricating every so often. If I had an opportunity to have the manufacture look over and repair my rifle for the cost of shipping, I would jump on it. The only time I would baulk would be if I was responsible for the damage.

Josh Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I think shipping on your dime keeps them from receiving items for warranty work that was no fault of Savage. What lubricant do you use on your bolt? How often do you clean your bolt? Rimfire rifles need a good scrubbing and lubricating every so often. If I had an opportunity to have the manufacture look over and repair my rifle for the cost of shipping, I would jump on it. The only time I would baulk would be if I was responsible for the damage.
    Are you serious?

Light oil on the firing pin and grease on the cam surfaces usually does it -- or should.

Edit: Let me clarify. That part is one that should not wear out. Even unlubed, it should wear the bolt body (stainless steel) before wearing appreciably itself.

Josh
    Last edited by Josh Smith; 03-11-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Eric A

Agree about the oil

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Are you serious?

Light oil on the firing pin and grease on the cam surfaces usually does it -- or should.

Edit: Let me clarify. That part is one that should not wear out. Even unlubed, it should wear the bolt body (stainless steel) before wearing appreciably itself.

Josh
    All I've used is light oil myself on my 2 Mark2 LH and 93 17HMR LH..those parts shouldn't wear that quick...I've had the same problem with the sear being to soft on my mark 2s...those are early mark 2s....circa 1996 or so...both 22s are 2 inch shooters at 50 yds ..This winter I've worked at trying to improve these rifles regarding accuracy...mainly working on the trigger pulls...and free floating the barrels.When spring arrives I'll start group testing these 2 rifles...I can say all my center fire Savage rifles are great shooters..I have over 15 in various calibers...I don't get upset over these 22s with their poor accuracy..I only paid 110.00 dollars out the door for each rifle back in the mid 90s...So I see them for what they are..an entry level rifle so I wouldn't expect Savage to spend much time in the " build " of these el cheapo rifles..My 452 CZ 22 will shoot circles around these two 22s.. That being said..my 17HMR 93 Savage is an even match in accuracy against my other CZ rifle a17HMR CZ 452...both 17HMRs are tops in accuracy..

Josh Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric A View Post
    All I've used is light oil myself on my 2 Mark2 LH and 93 17HMR LH..those parts shouldn't wear that quick...I've had the same problem with the sear being to soft on my mark 2s...those are early mark 2s....circa 1996 or so...both 22s are 2 inch shooters at 50 yds ..This winter I've worked at trying to improve these rifles regarding accuracy...mainly working on the trigger pulls...and free floating the barrels.When spring arrives I'll start group testing these 2 rifles...I can say all my center fire Savage rifles are great shooters..I have over 15 in various calibers...I don't get upset over these 22s with their poor accuracy..I only paid 110.00 dollars out the door for each rifle back in the mid 90s...So I see them for what they are..an entry level rifle so I wouldn't expect Savage to spend much time in the " build " of these el cheapo rifles..My 452 CZ 22 will shoot circles around these two 22s.. That being said..my 17HMR 93 Savage is an even match in accuracy against my other CZ rifle a17HMR CZ 452...both 17HMRs are tops in accuracy..
    Oh, man, yes, this thing is scarey accurate. It's why I'm bothering to fix it.

Regards,

Josh