Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mdl 10 weak ejection

Basic Member

So I think the issue is I can run the bolt faster than it can eject and the bolt travels further back than is required for ejection and a little further than required to pick up the next round off the mag. So in reality I'm faster at cycling the bolt than the bolt is at ejecting the brass.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    So I think the issue is I can run the bolt faster than it can eject and the bolt travels further back than is required for ejection and a little further than required to pick up the next round off the mag. So in reality I'm faster at cycling the bolt than the bolt is at ejecting the brass.
    You may like a control-feed receiver better than the Savage push-feed type.

Basic Member
    Hopefully we can someone will make something that is more consistent for those of us who require more from these rifles.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 03-17-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Basic Member
    I hated my controlled round feed FN-SPR receiver, but I did like the huge claw extractor that it had. I found myself needing to single feed several times, and the controlled round feed didn't really care for that idea too much. Yes, it worked, but it took extra time to get the bolt locked down. I think that every rifle made has some sort of flaws in the design.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

5. 03-17-2015, 05:32 PM
    Reason
    Double dribble

Maybe a .223 length front baffle trimmed down could limit the rearward travel, but that wouldn't slow you down any. At least you could eliminate one more little quirk.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Maybe a .223 length front baffle trimmed down could limit the rearward travel, but that wouldn't slow you down any. At least you could eliminate one more little quirk.
    Running a Shilen Action. There are no baffles! I would also need a custom length bolt head to do that. I just have to work the action the way it likes to be worked and then upgrade to a higher model better suited for my competition and shooting style. I have out grow Savage style parts in that department. They shoot and will function, but when it comes to smooth cycling and ejecting brass there is a lot to be wished for from my stand point.

That is their limitation and why you do not see many Savages in the truly competitive precision bolt rifle arena.

Running a Shilen Action.
    DOH......I temporarily misplaced that knowledge.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

pitsnipe

Thumbs Up Update

UPDATE

Installed new extractor/spring and ejector/spring (figured after 4k rounds a little tune up in the bolt head couldn't hurt) along with the .140 extractor ball from drybean (thank you again sir!) last night and this Savage tosses em like a Tikka now! NEVER has been this good.

Snipe

Basic Member
    That's good news. I'm still working on getting mine right, but it's better for right now. Did you use all OEM replacement parts?
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 03-20-2015 at 10:57 AM.

pitsnipe
    That's good news. I'm still working on getting mine right, but it's better for right now. Did you use all OEM replacement parts?
    Yes I did, except for the .140 ball of course. For the $ it was worth it.

Snipe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12