I was wondering if anybody has made an action wrench for the new style savages. Ive heard the typical wheeler wrenches dont properly fit on the new style. I dont have an action wrench at all, and dont want to spend 60$ unless I have to. Jim Briggs has one that is specifically made for the new style actions.

However, I was thinking a couple blocks of hardwood with a 1 inch hole between them (Maybe bigger? I haven't checked exact barrel dimensions) and Baker Rosin to add grip would get it off. Although to keep the blocks wide and in good contact, I was going to take my new recoil lug and trace it out on one of the blocks. I could inlet this part of the block to provide a mechanical means of holding the receiver via the lug on top of the friction. Seems like thats what they basically are anyway. I have plenty of metal (I live on a farm, metal everywhere) and vices to do whatever I need to make the clamping fixture. Main thing is that I dont twist the action like Jim was talking about if Im not careful.

Sorry I dont have a picture, I tried to upload one but SS seems to only use URL images. Most of the forums I am on you can actually upload pictures. Maybe I dont know how to use it?