I have been reloading for a few years now but always seem to need to learn more. I read with interest the article over on accurateshooters daily bulletin about the selecting bushing size and having a FL die honed.

I understand that having a bushing or FL die with the neck size too small will size the neck down more than it needs to thus overworking the brass but isn't it ultimately the size of the expander that will open the neck back up and determine neck tension on the loaded round?

In the article it talked about springback. I understand that when the case is ran into the die and the neck is sized down, the brass will springback or open slightly when the neck comes out of the bushing. In setting the dies up this way, with either selecting the correct bushing or having the FL die honed, are they NOT using an expander button?

I purchased my first Redding type S neck size die set for my 20 Vartarg. I use a .227 bushing to size the .221FB brass down. My loaded round measures .2285-.2290 with a 32gr Vmax. The expander measures .202. Now, if I selected a smaller bushing, lets say a .224, would that loaded round have more neck tension than the loaded round using the .227 bushing considering they both got pulled through the .202 expander?

I do notice that when seating bullets for the various calibers I reload for, some do seem to seat firmer than others. Ultimately I would like to learn how and what measurements to take to determine if I should be making some changes to my sizing dies. Thanks, TB