Thread: Once Fired Brass Definition

Basic Member

Once Fired Brass Definition

I'm not new to reloading but have only recently been noticing the term "once fired" used to describe brass that has been fired more than one time. I have encountered several individuals online and at shows who claim that brass is once fired but upon questioning, they bought it used and do not really know. Same goes for range brass.

A guy at a show got kinda red when I asked why half of his once fired Remington brass had shiny silver spent primers.

I bought some 243 brass on another forum that was described as once fired. No problems with it and it was in good condition but after further discussion, he bought it at an estate sale and knew nothing of it's history.

So,
    Does once fired mean it was only fired one time?
    Does it simply mean that is used?

I prefer the description of 1x fired. Then again, many would interpret that to mean "one time it was fired... and before that, one time it was fired ... and before that....."

LongRange
    once fired means its been fired one time(or is supposed to) not multiple times but when buying used brass you never know what your going to get. i was buying used brass for my 300 in the height of the shortage and got 50 or 60 pieces that would not hold primers and the other 90-100 pieces only lasted a couple of loads.

I have come across that a lot, and if it does not have they original primer or the factory crimp, it is just used brass and hopefully the primers will hold, that term does not mean anything anymore, actually it is kinda my pet peeve, just say it's used brass but still in good condition, and I am fine with that.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

HUMMM...guess I better be more careful when buying used brass.

If I'm selling brass and call it once fired it means just that - it has been fired once, before that it was a factory loaded round of ammo.

I've passed on brass where it was "once fired" and when I got there to pick it up no primers and the brass looked pretty aged. I just look at that as not being completely honest. However I know to ask more questions now.

95% of the people selling brass do so part time. Their day job is used car salesman.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    95% of the people selling brass do so part time. Their day job is used car salesman.
    LMAO...selling junk by day and more junk at night.

maxl
    The only used brass I purchase is lake city, cause its easy to tell it has only been fired once its a pain to remove the crimped primer but you know what your getting when you purchase it and at 47.00 per thousand I don't mind one more step

X2 on LC Brass Maxl. I like them as well.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    The only used brass I purchase is lake city, cause its easy to tell it has only been fired once its a pain to remove the crimped primer but you know what your getting when you purchase it and at 47.00 per thousand I don't mind one more step
    Very good point.

Where do you get 1000 Pcs of Brass for $47.00.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Not all once or twice fired is junk if you anneal it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Not all once or twice fired is junk if you anneal it.
    This is true. However with all of the hotrodders out there primer pockets become the bigger concern with a couple of manufacturers becoming a real concern.

How Come My Ears Are Ringing.

Dean

Basic Member
    I just bought 350 "once fired" Remington brass for my 260. Out of the 350 I have 150 of them prepped and primed, there are several with lose primer pockets. My definition is one shot fired through the brass period, apparently not everyone shares my idea.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    once fired means its been fired one time(or is supposed to) not multiple times but when buying used brass you never know what your going to get. i was buying used brass for my 300 in the height of the shortage and got 50 or 60 pieces that would not hold primers and the other 90-100 pieces only lasted a couple of loads.
    exact same thing here with my 300wm, brass was supposedly "once fired" but wouldn't retain the primers. i bought 100 of them for $65, i guess a lesson learned! tried going through my paperwork to find out where and from who i bought them, but never found out. new bagged brass from here on out!

Bruce

D.ID
    I categorize all products into one of three conditions regardless of description.
    A: NEW: Unused, not previously abused in any way.
    B: USED BUT WARRANTIED FOREVER: Optics and the like that the manufacturer will repair, restore or replace regardless of previous abuse.
    C: USED: Something someone wants to be rid of. Probably previously abused, proceed with caution.
    One man's junk............. is often just that.

maxl
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Where do you get 1000 Pcs of Brass for $47.00.

Dean
    Midway had a sale about a month ago at 47.00 per thousand i bought 4000, it's 95%LC once fired. Usually I get it from wiedners at 59.00 per
    Last edited by maxl; 02-27-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks For they Info.

Dean

You can also tell if the cases have been trimmed and chamfered, once they have been done, like the primer pocket crimp, there is no way to know how many times they have been fired

Things like this are why I quit buying used brass. I got a bunch of Federal Gold Medal .308 brass that was supposedly once fired from a fellow on here several years ago. Most of it didn't survive the second loading, neck splits, loose primer pockets (it was primed when I got it) I ended up just scrapping the whole pile. The person I got it from had a good reputation and it was not my first deal with him so I guessed he had gotten the brass from somewhere under the pretense that is was indeed "once fired" and really didn't know the history. I chalked it up to experience and just quit buying anything used.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    I have gotten to the point where I'll buy lake city once fired from some reputable places or I buy new Lapua brass.

Basic Member
    My definition is "once fired" in "My chamber" :-)