Thread: axis xp

seadog

axis xp

hello,

new to the forum, i am sure this has been answered but I just bought the axis xp from gandermountain and it was suppose to
    be the three position safety. It is actually two position, but it seems that the safety will not go on unless the trigger is
    cocked. so if i fired the round in the chamber and drop the clip out and now want to put safety on i have to just flip the
    bolt lever up (not even pull it back) and i can now put safety on. should i make sure chamber is empty and then take safety
    off and dry fire to release trigger ? is it bad on spring to store it empty with trigger cocked and and safety on

as you can see new to bolt action rifles. is this normal that i can't put safety on unless cocked as i mentioned earlier if i just flip bolt lever up and not pull back at all it seems to clock trigger and now i can
    put safety on.

thanks
    Last edited by seadog; 02-23-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: keep hitting some key to post before done

Basic Member
    I am curious where did you see a three position safety for an Axis model?
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

The Axis has never been offered with a 3-position safety, that's one of the primary differences between it and the more expensive 110-series rifles.

As for unloading a live round, as you have discovered you have to do it with the safety off. Simply follow basic firearm safety protocols (muzzle pointed in a safe direction, finger nowhere near trigger, etc) and it's a non-issue the same as on the vast majority of other firearms on the market that only have two position safeties (all handguns, shotguns, most centerfire rifles of any type, every rimfire I've ever seen, etc. etc.).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If it's not cocked, why would you want to put the safety on????
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

seadog
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If it's not cocked, why would you want to put the safety on????
    if I were removing the last fired round from chamber, by pulling the bolt back it seems to cock the rifle, should I dry fire it to release trigger after removing fired round ?

also didn't know if ok to store it with trigger cocked is it hard on spring.

appears gandermountain had a misprint then go to know all savage axis xp have only two position safety.

Yes, bolt cocks on opening. Won't hurt anything to leave it cocked while stored, but won't hurt to dry-fire it to have it uncocked while stored either.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

seadog
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Yes, bolt cocks on opening. Won't hurt anything to leave it cocked while stored, but won't hurt to dry-fire it to have it uncocked while stored either.
    Thanks !!

First post but a long time lurker just thought I'd chime in. If you're concerned about dry-firing and cocked storage, lift the bolt handle (chamber empty of course) pull and hold the trigger while lowering the bolt handle, . This will softly decock the firing pin, relieving any spring tension. Of course, will not be able to use the safety, but that's a moot point. Not really necessary but it is an option.

Basic Member
    A decocked bolt is still under spring tension. It's really not worth worrying about, springs don't go bad from being compressed, they get weaker from being fired a million times.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."