Hi,

I'm new to these forums, and part of the reason I joined is because I'm in the market for a bolt action rifle. I'd like to do some long range shooting and possibly some hunting as well.

There is a sale currently at Cabela's on the Savage Model 10 T in .308, which is if I've read correctly, a rifle model specifically put out through Cabela's. It is heavy at 9 lbs with the BA extended bolt handle, etc. I went to Cabela's today and checked it out. It seems heavier than I thought it would be, but with a $100 rebate, the rifle can be had for around $435. I had been considering a Ruger American, but then I saw the Model 10 in the sale flier and was curious. The salesperson also showed me a Tikka T3 for about $525, and I've done some reading on that gun as well (very good reviews). Everything I've read about the Savage has been very favorable, and I know several people who own Savage's and swear by them.

I'm wondering if anyone on here owns one, and if you do, do you hunt with it or is it more of a long range bench shooter? As it will be my first bolt gun, I just want to make sure I'm getting a rifle that will serve my purposes and be fun to shoot as well. Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Best,
Dave