Thread: Firing Pin Travel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Earl. Protrusion is the amount the nose of the firing pin stands out in relation to the face of the bolt head.

I was looking for total amount of travel of the firing pin. When rifle is ready to shoot the sear is engaged to the trigger. The cocking pin is being held by the sear ready to fire. When you pull the trigger the firing pin is released and travels until it impacts the end of the bolt head. That distance is what I am after.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    When you pull the trigger the firing pin is released and travels until it impacts the end of the bolt head. That distance is what I am after.
    There are two pin fall lengths, what its set to on the bench and when it strikes a primer which is the important one. When a pin strikes a primer it stops the pin at ~.020" protrusion regardless what its set to on the bench, why some of us set them to .030"-.035" max. Anything longer only serves to shorten the pin fall and reduce primer impact energy.

With that said, after setting the protrusion to 30-35 I'll adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has minimum clearance at the bottom of the cocking ramp in the fired position. Although it will never bottom out the minimal clearance allows for max spring compression when cocking the bolt.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.