Thread: any bad 110's and how to date

Basic Member

any bad 110's and how to date

there's 3 guns shows coming at the end of the month i'm going to be looking for model 110's in 223 - 308 - and 30-06 are the any of these that are better or worse as far as what year they were made are there any to avoid. also whats the best resorse for dating a savage 110. thanks for any help you can give

All Savages are bad, if you run across any, send them to me and I will properly dispose of them for you. If not properly handled they can be the most addictive thing you will ever come across.

There is an article in the FAQ section here on dating. Really the only one to watch is the 1st gen short actions with the 4.52" screw spacing. You can build off of them, but finding aftermarket stocks is a very limited proposition.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    in reading a thread that mad dog posted in I think he said in 1969 they started the letters in the serial no. if so my 30-06 starts with F followed by 6 digits think that puts it at 1974. i'm just trying to get a ball park idea cause I know there was a period of time when savage made some real stinkers and as much as I like savage I would like to avoid these

Basic Member
    thanks boots but i'm afraid I've all ready got the savage little monkey on my back i'll check the faq's .

Basic Member
    could not find faq article on dates just series and letter info

Quote Originally Posted by dey59 View Post
    could not find faq article on dates just series and letter info
    Guess you didn't look to hard...

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Firearm-Dating
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I still don't know how you got there I clicked every link in faq and could not find it other than your link . but thank you that will help a great deal

thanks boots but i'm afraid I've all ready got the savage little monkey on my back i'll check the faq's .
    Its not one that's the problem, its when all his little buddys insist on jumping on...Then feeding all there greedy little mouths...

I still don't know how you got there I clicked every link in faq and could not find it other than your link . but thank you that will help a great deal
    Click the Savage FAQ's button at the top of the page (blue button)
    Scroll down to the bottom where the page list is and click on #2
    On page two it's the second article down in the left-hand column.

Easy-Peasy!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    yup I didn't go down far enough. theres a whole bunch more good stuff. thanks

Ralfus
    As far as spotting "bad" Savages stay away from the the rifles with built-in Weaver style bases. They were silver soldered on at the factory and the bases were not aligned well. I am not positive but think they were from the late 80's. The visual cue is no screw heads on the bases.

Basic Member
    Will he be able to see the base screws if rings and/or scope is mounted? Paul

Basic Member
    I would avoid anything with an "E" prefix like the plaque.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I would avoid anything with an "E" prefix like the plaque.
    Mr. Fred, any additional reasons other than limited choices of stocks for 4.522" action screw spacing?

Ralfus
    Quote Originally Posted by scpaul View Post
    Will he be able to see the base screws if rings and/or scope is mounted? Paul
    Sure if he opens the bolt and looks at the underside of the receiver bridge. Also the bases will be the exact same color as the receiver since they are finished as one piece. Weaver bases are aluminum and wont match.

If it started with an F it was made in the 90's.
    Savage- "never say never".

skamondongo
    Could I get some clarification on why serial numbers starting with E should be avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by skamondongo View Post
    Could I get some clarification on why serial numbers starting with E should be avoided?
    +1, I'd like to know too, I have and "E" serial numbered action.

IIRC, Fred mentioned it in another post. But as memory serves, the E prefix actions were made during the "bankruptcy" years of Savage and the QC was not very good at all. The flat rears were often not even close to true, loose raceways, crappy threads, misaligned base screw holes, etc., etc.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember being stated. I had a 110 in 223 on a LA with he short mag well and the flat rear looked like a guy with an angle grinder ground it on there. bedding the bases cured it, but still.....
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfus View Post
    As far as spotting "bad" Savages stay away from the the rifles with built-in Weaver style bases. They were silver soldered on at the factory and the bases were not aligned well. I am not positive but think they were from the late 80's. The visual cue is no screw heads on the bases.
    In the same era that had a run of cast actions that also had integral weaver bases. Another bad idea.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Mach2
    I know nothing of the new production Savages but the previous owners from 1995-2014 made some very accurate rifles and were responsible for Savages reputation for Accuracy. G is a good prefix to own.