Thread: 10FCP-SR question

Basic Member

10FCP-SR question

Looking at getting a 10fcp-sr. On the savage website it shows a scope rail on the rifle. Anyone know if it comes with the gun? Next, if it does will a SFWA 16x42mq with the SFWA low(1") rings work with that rail? I know the odds of someone knowing this is low, doesn't hurt to ask

Twinsen
    Their low rings worked for me, but if you're shorter they might not. For me at 6 foot tall, the first spot for a clearance issue is the bell against the rail itself, not the objective against the barrel. Somebody taller or lankier would have no problem. If you're over 5'9" I can say you're good. Otherwise, I don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    Their low rings worked for me, but if you're shorter they might not. For me at 6 foot tall, the first spot for a clearance issue is the bell against the rail itself, not the objective against the barrel. Somebody taller or lankier would have no problem. If you're over 5'9" I can say you're good. Otherwise, I don't know.
    Do you have this gun? Did the rail come on it?

Twinsen
    Yes, I have one. The rail comes with the rifle and it is a straight 0 MOA rail made by EGW. It is a nice rail.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    Yes, I have one. The rail comes with the rifle and it is a straight 0 MOA rail made by EGW. It is a nice rail.
    Thanks, I'm gonna be bench resting this rifle so school me up on the explaination of ones height?

Basic Member
    Mine came with a 0MOA EGW rail. I have the current one, same as Twinsen.

I used Warne Maxima low QD rings and I could go lower. This rifle has a straight comb, so I think you will hit the barrel with your scope bell before you get the eyepiece too low.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    Thanks, I'm gonna be bench resting this rifle so school me up on the explaination of ones height?
    Slight differences in distance from eyeball to shoulder. We're talking about clearances around a tenth of an inch or less when picking scope rings. I believe I got mine to 0.07" with my final decision of rings because I wanted it as low as possible. I'd bet you're good with the lows, but there's no way to say for sure.

What I do is use a set of rings that are too tall to figure out where I want the scope front-to-back on the rail.

Then:
    1. Measure closest clearance area with calipers for vertical clearance distance (in my case it was bell to rail)
    2. Measure tube to top of rail with calipers
    3. Subtract #1 from #2.
    4. Find rings that just barely clear that.

Somebody's version of "low rings" are on every bolt action that I play with.

Basic Member
    I did find with my other, smaller scope that I hit the rail with the bell before I got the scope back as far as I wanted it. For me, the rail could be a little shorter. Not a big complaint, but I don't have much need for it to be that long. I have my current bell within about 1/8", but when I put the temporary scope on I had it so close that I ran a dollar bill between it to make sure it wasn't touching.

The SWFA low mounts are the same height as mine, according to their spec sheet, but I think if you use them as a 1" ring, the scope will rest slightly higher. I'm not sure, as I've never used their inserts.