Thread: Bolt release - top vs bottom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nope, the bottom bolt release first appeared on the Model 14/114 American Classic when it was introduced in 2004(?). Basically Savage was looking at ways to "dress up" or "clean up" the lines of the 110-Series. Besides the bolt release location change, they also employed the smooth barrel nut on select models.

How Savage determines which models get the top release and which get the bottom is beyond me at this point...though I do think a coin might be involved.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I have a new model 12 F/TR with a side release. It is, indeed, awkward and a general PITA. No Accustock, but does have a Target action and target Accu-Trigger.

choclabs

OK so it's a crap shoot

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Nope, the bottom bolt release first appeared on the Model 14/114 American Classic when it was introduced in 2004(?). Basically Savage was looking at ways to "dress up" or "clean up" the lines of the 110-Series. Besides the bolt release location change, they also employed the smooth barrel nut on select models.

How Savage determines which models get the top release and which get the bottom is beyond me at this point...though I do think a coin might be involved.
    Now that's another curiosity, they create a VERY successful market distinction - The Barrel Nut - and then proceed to produce smooth barrel nuts. I have read some very interesting posts on removing the smooth barrel nut, from no problem to significant problem.

Are they nuts?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Actually the bottom bolt release didn't appear on guns until 2010. If you remember correctly Jim, we actually saw a bottom style bolt release at the factory tour in November 2005.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."