Thread: Best supplier for bolt head

j_h_nimrod

Best supplier for bolt head

I am working on build converting an older 116 from a 300WM to .240 Weatherby. I need a new bolt head but have the older .140 firing pin and slotted head index. I don't want to convert everything over to the newer small firing pin. What is my best bet for getting a new, correct bolt head? I have heard SSS is good but hard to get ahold of and most other places are out of stock or not caring what I need.

Thanks for any help.

SparkyLB
    Lisa at SSS responded to my first email within 48 hrs. of sending. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going from .338 WinMag to 270 Win. I too have a large firing pin ass'y and the new bolt face I'm receiving will have the small firing pin hole enlarged to accommodate the older large body F/P. Try emailing them. Good luck!

Good luck, all the vendors are having a heck of a time getting their parts orders filled from Savage.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

LongRange
    call Darren at PTG.

5. 02-07-2015, 10:05 PM
    Reason
    thread hjack

6. 02-07-2015, 10:28 PM
    Reason
    thread hjack

7. 02-07-2015, 10:47 PM
    Reason
    thread hjack

j_h_nimrod
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get my new bolt head before my new barrel arrives. If anyone else has recommendations I would be happy to hear them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    I am working on build converting an older 116 from a 300WM to .240 Weatherby. I need a new bolt head but have the older .140 firing pin and slotted head index. I don't want to convert everything over to the newer small firing pin. What is my best bet for getting a new, correct bolt head?

Thanks for any help.
    You can use the .145" pin you have now. "If" you can find a .470" ('06 etc) LA bolthead open the shaft to the vent with a #26 drill bit (.147") and Dremel the key out of the bolt body.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

j_h_nimrod
    Bill, if I couldn't find an old style bolt head that was my plan. We are actually in the process of getting a new mill set up at work and I thought that would be a good project to break it in.