Thread: Still undecided

Basic Member

Still undecided

I'm having a tough time trying to decide what new savage to get. I have an older model 116 in 270 before the detachable mag. I'm currently looking at an axis 2 in 25-06 and a model 11/111 in 6.5 creedmoor. I was thinking on getting a 7mm08 but decided to wait on it. I'm kinda leaning towards the Creedmoor but I know ammo will be limited and I don't reload. The gun will mainly be used for deer hunting with shots up to 300 yards. I may get a stock from boyd's and get it bedded and also get the bolt fluted. This will be my first semi-build so I'm not sure what also needs to be done to make it a sub-moa shooter. I plan to keep costs around 900 not including scope. Any ideas and opinions will be greatly appreciated

Basic Member
    I guess no one knows...

Go with the Creed. It may already be sub-MOA out of the box after a couple of hundred rounds through the barrel and good loads. I wouldn't say that you'll be limited by factory ammo, there's some very accurate stuff out there and my local GS has a good selection.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    By "semi-build" are you looking to re-barrel or just re-stock a new rifle? You could do a full-on build for about $900 if you can find a donor action/pawn shop rifle for under $300. (rifle $300, barrel $300, Boyd's stock 150, tools & misc $150.) The Creedmore would be a great deer cartridge with the potential do do some long range paper or steel banging also, but if you are worried about availability of factory ammo then .243, 25-06, .308 is maybe where you should be looking. 7mm-08 is another great deer round but ammo availability can be tough sometimes. Fluting your bolt won't do a thing for accuracy. I'd put that money into your scope.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the advice guys now I'm leaning more towards the Creedmoor now. I planned to by a new rifle and leave the factory barrel on even though I want a fluted one. And by semi-build I meant changing the stock to a boyds and maybe getting it bedded. I'm not sure if that would be necessary or not. The fluted bolt would be for looks.