Thread: Tracking Point, 12 y/o girl, 1000yds, one shot, one hit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I could fill a very large room with some very good shooters who would challenge you on that Jamie.
    Bottom line is that if your serious about that then take your one shot then leave.
    Just think, no need to be carrying around more than the 1 bullet needed for that season.
    I am sure you could, that doesn't make the statement any less true. Just a room full of people shooting farther than they should. I do take more than one round out because things do happen. I just try to minimize my misses instead of planning on missing.

If you want to hunt that way then have at it, it's your choice. I'm not against long range hunting by any means, just against those that are doing it when they are shooting beyond their abilities.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-04-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    More shooting, less typing.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I am sure you could, that doesn't make the statement any less true. Just a room full of people shooting farther than they should. I do take more than one round out because things do happen. I just try to minimize my misses instead of planning on missing.

If you want to hunt that way then have at it, it's your choice. I'm not against long range hunting by any means, just against those that are doing it when they are shooting beyond their abilities.
    There's a big difference between walking your shot to 1000 yards for the first time and taking 6 shots at a moose at 1800 yards and finally connecting with his intestinal tract and then celebrating how far your terrible, terrible shot was. One is fun, one is unethical.

Some long distance guys are too caught up in the glory, IMO.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    There's a big difference between walking your shot to 1000 yards for the first time and taking 6 shots at a moose at 1800 yards and finally connecting with his intestinal tract and then celebrating how far your terrible, terrible shot was. One is fun, one is unethical.

Some long distance guys are too caught up in the glory, IMO.
    Would 5 shots at a deer running accross an open field at 100 yds be unethicle?

Basic Member
    Only if you're using an AR lol!

Twinsen
    I don't know. But if you were that close and gut shot it, at least you could follow it up with a kill shot and not have the thing die 3 days and 10 miles later from having its own **** in its bloodsteam. Personally, I've only taken one game animal with a rifle. One shot went lung-heart-lung, and the second shot went spine-brain-jaw. Total time from guaranteed kill shot to complete blackness was 3-4 seconds.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    I don't know. But if you were that close and gut shot it, at least you could follow it up with a kill shot and not have the thing die 3 days and 10 miles later from having its own **** in its bloodsteam. Personally, I've only taken one game animal with a rifle. One shot went lung-heart-lung, and the second shot went spine-brain-jaw. Total time from guaranteed kill shot to complete blackness was 3-4 seconds.
    Well congratulations on your first kill. I suggest you read the first 3 words of your own statement here. Because had you known, the second shot wouldnt have been necessary would it?
    Be prepared because your next one just might not go as well. I can show you a few very nice racks of bucks ive killed that were crippled before i ever shot at them.
    One in particular after having been traveling several days and several miles after being hit high thru the ribs with an 06. I''ll even introduce you to the very good hunter who originaly hit him and who was still attempting to catch up with him when i finished him.
    Have you ever watched from almost a mile as some guy dropped a buck like a sack of rocks and have it slide down a steep hill in the snow and never even kick? And then run after the few other deer with it that ran when he shot? Well i have, and i'll tell you what, if we didnt go get the thing after the guy walked away it would have been like many others guys like that shoot, COYOTE FOOD.
    We even renamed that location to stupid bush hunter hill.
    Where are we going today? I dont know, maybe that stupid bush hunter will be back, lets go there. lol
    We all have enough fingers to point in lots of directions including our own.

Twinsen
    I didn't want to track it or have it suffer. I thought it was a solid plan.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

So im gathering here that the people i know who would be present in the room would be people over their heads with what their trying to do.
    And anything they can get to help them like this scope for example, would be a big plus.
    Whereas someone more ethicle would be expecting at least an 80% hit on the first round. Unless of coarse something unexpected happened causing a miss.
    So in the event something unexpected did happen causing a miss, how many more bullets would an ethicle person like yourself be willing to shoot before you
    might become an unethicle person say like me? And what makes you think id be satisfied with your 80% figure in the first place? Is a sighter shot a planned miss?
    I think if were going to be discussing the ethics of shooting at animals at long distances, we need to be adressing the whole topic and not just
    the segment that touches your hot button like how well a person can shoot assuming nothing happens.

Basic Member
    I see you can buy it for $19,000 and it is guaranteed for 30 days! I think I'll stick with my Razor, It has a better warranty! When I first seen these I think they were asking something like 27,000? Also I still think wind call is manual, plus 500 yards, by todays standards, is diffidently not a long range shot.