Thread: How to move forward with 7mm build?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

How to move forward with 7mm build?

Okay, here's my dilemma. I've acquired a small shank 7mm Rem Mag varmint contour barrel from a forum member. I've got 100pcs of brand new Norma brass and some Nosler and Berger bullets on the way. Getting antsy and want to get this thing together. Been trying to track down a round back centerfeed long action w/Magnum bolt face. No luck here on the forums really, a couple responses but mostly flat back actions (I want an AccuTrigger since my other rifle has one). Then I called Jim at Norhland Shooters Supply and I basically have two options. He has new, centerfeed, round back long actions in stock with a .473 bolt head for $350. He also has a couple older 111FXP3 complete package rifles chambered in 7mm Rem Mag with the cheap no name scope, round back and accutrigger for $475. Would it be more cost effective for me to purchase the complete rifle and sell all the stuff I'm not going to use (barrel, scope, mounts, possibly stock)? Or would I be better off buying the action and swapping the bolt face for a magnum diameter? It seems magnum bolt heads and the accompanying small parts are gettin hard to track down. Buying the rifle would require less effort in the bolt department tracking down swap parts but then I have to put some effort into selling all the stuff I don't use plus the extra up front cost of the rifle. Jim was telling me if I go with the action I'd need to replace not just the bolt face but the firing pin, firing pin spring, and the bolt shroud which he said would be close to $100 worth of extra parts. Obviously I'm having a tough time deciding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also as an aside this is my first build and I don't have a clue how to install all the small parts like extractor and ejector pieces into a stripped bolt head. I'm sure it's not that hard but with my sausage fingers might be challenging.
    Last edited by Model12BVSS; 01-22-2015 at 07:20 AM.