Thread: Reloading Guru's who loads .454 Casull

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Got one just like yours. Its never seen factory ammo. Been using 29.0grs of 2400 powder with 250gr hornady xtp and Lee dies for the past 10 years. That round is hauling ass . Average is 1600fps. with no signs of over pressure. I don't shoot my Raging Bull that much but when I do?..the wow factor is definitely there. Imo it's a well designed wheel gun. That can take the jolt due to its integrated break.you don't have to load it heavy,you can go light that of which I've done as well

Strutnut
    I used to have the Freedom Arms Cassull. I loved that gun. Very accurate. I too reloaded for it and found the reloads much more comfortable to shoot even at similar velocities. I would never shoot 45 long colt in mine as I was told from the company that was the biggest issue with shooter returning the gun for repair. Too many 45's shot through than they switch to 454 and the casings get stuck and you gotta buy another cylinder. You can easily load down the 454 to similar performance and recoil to the 45 long colt and save money to boot with using less powder. I too shot XTP's but had some trouble with them creeping out of the case on occasion. The best bullets I shot where cast bullets I made myself out of wheel weights and 50/50 bar solder. Very cheap and where exceptionally accurate. I never had an issue with them at all. Its a very powerful round but a blast to shoot. Man I miss my 454 Cassull!

I getting a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull, the one with the 2 inch barrel after reading this I can't wait, I had a Taurus Raging Bull in that caliber my go to load was 40gr+ of H110 with 240gr JHP's 2400fps +

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

240gr XTP Mag. 36gr on H110 I'll start at the min Dean! But it felt good. I cannot imagine the kick on a 2"barrel. The Raging bull is very nice almost no muzzle rise being ported.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]