Thread: New Member from Oklahoma

loganmd

New Member from Oklahoma

Just sitting here watching football and thinking about guns. I am new to Savage. I currently own a model 93R17.

I am an avid hunter, mostly bobwhites and whitetails. I have a kennel of Pointers and have raised this family of dogs for over 25 years. My dogs have opened the doors for me to hunt some wonderful places here in Northern Oklahoma and Kansas. This includes both quail and deer. One of the ranches where I guide bird hunts, has a deer management program that allows me the opportunity to shoot 10 to 20 does each December.

My current whitetail rig is a SIG SHR 970 in 25 06 topped with a Sightron SII 6x24x42. I have shot many deer with this gun, but I have a hankerin for a new gun.

I am strongly considering a model 11 Long Range Hunter in 260. Will probably top it with another Sightron, as I have no complaints on my Sightron SII 6x24x42. On the doe hunts, shooting 300 to 400 yard shots across a winter wheat field is commonplace. I have the chance for longer shots but have passed, due to lack of confidence in me, my gun or the combination of both. Don't know if a new gun/scope combo would change this, but I'd like to think so!

That's me for now......BTW the Colts are getting steamrolled by the Patriots.

Team Savage
    welcome to the site

Berger.Fan222
    Quote Originally Posted by loganmd View Post
    Just sitting here watching football and thinking about guns. I am new to Savage. I currently own a model 93R17.

I am an avid hunter, mostly bobwhites and whitetails. I have a kennel of Pointers and have raised this family of dogs for over 25 years. My dogs have opened the doors for me to hunt some wonderful places here in Northern Oklahoma and Kansas. This includes both quail and deer. One of the ranches where I guide bird hunts, has a deer management program that allows me the opportunity to shoot 10 to 20 does each December.

My current whitetail rig is a SIG SHR 970 in 25 06 topped with a Sightron SII 6x24x42. I have shot many deer with this gun, but I have a hankerin for a new gun.

I am strongly considering a model 11 Long Range Hunter in 260. Will probably top it with another Sightron, as I have no complaints on my Sightron SII 6x24x42. On the doe hunts, shooting 300 to 400 yard shots across a winter wheat field is commonplace. I have the chance for longer shots but have passed, due to lack of confidence in me, my gun or the combination of both. Don't know if a new gun/scope combo would change this, but I'd like to think so!

That's me for now......BTW the Colts are getting steamrolled by the Patriots.
    Most Savage owners are very pleased with the accuracy of Savage centerfire rifles. Picking up that .260 would allow you to compete in our monthly centerfire email match (rules linked below). We also have a monthly rimfire match that is very challenging (also linked below).

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...les-and-Target

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ctive-01-02-12)

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome! Glad to have ya.

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.