Thread: Shipping Bullets

Cat 64

Shipping Bullets

Perhaps this is the place to ask this question. I never had a chance to either buy or sell bullets privately. Is selling bullets to a person and shipping it via USPS in violation of any federal laws? I am asking because I have erroneously purchased the wrong bullet type from Cabelas and when I called to ask how can I return it, they said due to federal regulations I cannot ship it back to them and would have to eventually take it to one of their stores for an exchange (not even a refund). Was intrigued by that reply.

Basic Member
    No.
    If you are manufacturing bullets for resale you would need an ffl.

D.ID
    Ammunition is an issue for the post office (usps), ups and fed-ex require an ordnance sticker.
    Bullets are not a restricted, regulated or hazardous material.
    They are little chunks of copper and lead and you can make or ship or sell without anything and to anyone. You need no license, no declaration and no nothing.

Team Savage
    USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box. Pack them good and send them down the road!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box. Pack them good and send them down the road!
    This with emphasis on pack them good. Put paper or something all around and wrap tight with tape to restrict movement.

JTCrl
    This assumes of course that we are talking about just the projectiles and not a loaded cartridge.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCrl View Post
    This assumes of course that we are talking about just the projectiles and not a loaded cartridge.
    EXACTLY!!! to the OP...are you talking loaded ammo or JUST BULLETS?

Cat 64
    Please understand ...I am not trying to disrespect anyone here...I didn't respond to the above remarque because I didn't think I had to. My initial post asked about bullets as opposed to cartridges. I would suggest since powder and primers are subject to hazard taxes and shipping between physical persons is a no go...subsequently loaded rounds would be covered under the same provisions. I thought, based on my reading and discussions with others that bullets would not be a problem (as many of you graciously pointed out) but when the Cabelas operator answered the way he did (see initial post) a seed of doubt wedged into my heart. That's all. Thank you all for your reply. You clarified my dilemma.

1 in 5 Cabela's customer service reps know the difference between bullets and cartridges.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    1 in 5 Cabela's customer service reps know the difference between bullets and cartridges.
    This is my assumption. I'd give them another call.

Cat 64
    Good points. I will try again on Monday. Thanks

hombre243
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This with emphasis on pack them good. Put paper or something all around and wrap tight with tape to restrict movement.
    Just today I received in the mail 50# of lead bars in a USPS Tyvek envelope. There was no tape...just the envelope. No holes and no problems...except 50 lbs of lead comes in a small envelope and it was 50 lbs heavy.