Thread: scope question

Basic Member

scope question

This seems weird to me. I have a Burris C4 AR 4.5x14 scope mounted on my Savage Model 10 .223. I've been having accuracy issues at 100 yards that at times seem extreme. For instance. Today I took a bunch of different loads to the range looking for that magic combination what will make me happy with accuracy. I've paid very close attention to case prep, bullet seating, powder charge and kept good records about different loads but can't get consistent groups at 100 yards.

The range that I shoot at has a target frame at 100 yards, a steel plate at 200 yards and one at 325 yards.

Today I shot 55 gr Federal FMJ factory ammo after I was done with my handloads. I could swat the steel plates at 200 and 325 yards every shot but when I dialed the elevation knob back down to 100 yards to punch paper it was off the paper. An 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper!?! How can that be? If it was off that far at 100 yards how could I hit steel at 200 and 325 yards?

Can a scope loose horizontal adjustment at one range like this be spot on at others?

I noticed this same thing a couple of months ago but thought that it was just me. Maybe not.

As I said, it is weird.

Basic Member
    It actually isnt weird. Its simply a problem waiting for a solution.
    The world's full of them right now including the one your having with your gun.
    In your case im sure lots of good advise is forthcoming.
    My own would be first try another scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    It actually isnt weird. Its simply a problem waiting for a solution.
    The world's full of them right now including the one your having with your gun.
    In your case im sure lots of good advise is forthcoming.
    My own would be first try another scope.
    I may need to do just that.

Burris scopes= Unconditionl Forever Warranty.
    Send it back to the manufacturer and detail the problem you're having with it. It will be returned to you in better working condition than it came off the production line with.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Yep,I know about the Burris warranty and will return it if I can identify a problem, thanks. I'm thinking that if the scope is stable and 2 and 300 yards that I will set it for each and shoot a group at 100, they will be high, and check to see if I get good groups. If I do that should tell me something.

Basic Member
    I purchased the same scope as you put it on my 6.5 CM zeroed and shot great. Finally got the custom turret, installed and went to range. Set up 100 to verify zero, was perfect, moved to 300 and couldn't hit target, moved back to 100 still nothing on target. It was shooting about 12 inches high and 14 right at 100. Called Burris they sent me paperwork and I sent it in. Took 7 weeks and they send me a brand new one. Put it on and tried but I didn't like it either, they just don't track well. I sold it and bought a Vortex Viper HST

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshawg42 View Post
    I purchased the same scope as you put it on my 6.5 CM zeroed and shot great. Finally got the custom turret, installed and went to range. Set up 100 to verify zero, was perfect, moved to 300 and couldn't hit target, moved back to 100 still nothing on target. It was shooting about 12 inches high and 14 right at 100. Called Burris they sent me paperwork and I sent it in. Took 7 weeks and they send me a brand new one. Put it on and tried but I didn't like it either, they just don't track well. I sold it and bought a Vortex Viper HST
    Ouch. That's what I was afraid of. I also have a C4 on my 25-06. This is disturbing.

Basic Member
    I had always heard good things about burris around here anyway. very clear. Maybe its just the C4 line of scopes I don't know, but they sure left a bad taste in my mouth.