Thread: Which Long Action For My Build?

Basic Member

Which Long Action For My Build?

I am wanting to buy a long action Savage for a build, but want to buy one that has a reasonable selection of after market stocks available.
    Should I be looking for an older flat back 110 staggered feed, round back staggered feed, round back center feed, new lower bolt release, etc.?
    Again, the focus is on having a decent selection of aftermarket stocks available for the build.

Maybe there aren't as many LA's as I think, but thought I would ask before I lay down my $$.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Well, I'm just a little bit ahead of you in my LA build process (have my donor mod 111) and have found that there seems to be more out there in stagger feed than centerfeed for LA although either can be modified I think. Then there is blind mag vs DBM (mine is blind) Another thing that limited me was the need for a heavier barrel contour (though that can be modified on laminates too). There seem to be more options for LA in standard factory contour and sporter stocks than heavy barrel tactical type. About all I've found in the $250 and under range are Choate, Hogue and Boyds. Might not be a bad idea to choose your stock before your donor action.

Then there is here: http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...-Series-Stocks

Team Savage
    The action hole spacing (5.0)" on Savage LA stocks did not change when they started converting from SF to CF. A top bolt release action (SF or CF) is preferred over a bottom bolt release action (CF only). If you want a DBM or HFP stock, then a LA, CF action is your best option. Going with a blind magazine stock currently gives you the greatest number of choices for use with a SF or CF long action.
    Last edited by jpdown; 01-14-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Just to add to JP's post, the SF magazine will not fit in a CF stock inlet and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Just to add to JP's post, the SF magazine will not fit in a CF stock inlet and vice versa.
    It doesn't take much work to convert one to the other. I've converted both directions and each conversion required less than an hour to do properly.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    It doesn't take much work to convert one to the other. I've converted both directions and each conversion required less than an hour to do properly.

No doubt about it. Albiet good to know so there are no suprises.

Basic Member
    I ended up finding an older flat back action off a 110e. It has a staggered feed blind magazine. The trigger is a 3 screw and breaks very nicely at about 3.5 - 4.0 lbs. estimated. I decided to build a .270 with a 24" heavy sporter contour barrel. Now to find a stock that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
    I ended up finding an older flat back action off a 110e. It has a staggered feed blind magazine. The trigger is a 3 screw and breaks very nicely at about 3.5 - 4.0 lbs. estimated. I decided to build a .270 with a 24" heavy sporter contour barrel. Now to find a stock that will work.
    Take a look at Boyd's web site to see if any of their stocks peek your interest.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Take a look at Boyd's web site to see if any of their stocks peek your interest.
    Thanks. How do the Boyds stocks shoot without pillars or bedding? Are those a must do for reasonable accuracy?