Recently, in another thread, I posted the pictures below and received some good feedback from foxx.

“Not bad. My only concern is it does not look to me like you relieved enough wood to allow for a thick enough bed of epoxy. I am basing that off of the wood I see showing through around the front and rear action screws. When I do mine, I like at least an 1/8 " of epoxy. Also, I dont bed at all behind the rear screw. Just make sure the tang is floated. Otherwise, it looks good.”

The only way I’m going to learn how to do this better is by opening myself up to some constructive criticism. I’m new to this whole thing, so please chime in with ways I could have done this bedding job better; other first-timers may save themselves the effort of having to redo a project.

First off, I’m guessing I should have removed more stock material both fore and aft of the front pillar; is this correct? Next, it looks like I could have removed more stock material from either side of the front pillar as well; what say you?

Switching gears and taking a look at the rear pillar; should I have removed more stock material from in front of the rear pillar?

I looked up as many bedding photos as I could before doing this job and I really like the looks of nice smooth, uniform Devcon or Accraglass bedding work. I can’t really think of a way to make my pillars disappear under bedding material because my friend and I cinched the barreled action down fairly snug to the pillars. See picture.

Thank you in advance for keeping me headed in the right direction!