Thread: Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If the features that they deleted are really important to you then I think you won't be entirely pleased. The biggest issue for me is the magazine, because I don't want spend the extra money on bottom metal that I thought I was getting and it's a waste to buy a second 10 round Savage mag.

Mine won't hit the range until Sat., so I don't know about accuracy or the threads. It tightened up just fine, but does seem loose until it gets close to the end of the thread.

It's not junk, but it's not what all of the raving reviews were talking about. I'd say it's roughly worth what I paid for it as long as it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdm160 View Post
    So, I recently ordered a Savage 10 FCP-SR from a local gun shop here in NJ. I'm the type of person who researches things to death before pulling the trigger, and I thought I had all my ducks in a row with this purchase as well. Somehow I stumbled upon this thread tonight, and I'm starting to think I may have made a mistake! This is my first bolt-gun, and I wanted something that I could mess around with long distance target shooting, with a tacti-cool look.. I was all over the Remington 700P, except I couldn't find the gun anywhere and the recent trigger recalls turned me off. So, I checked the Savage website and stumbled across what I thought was an amazing rifle (10FCP-SR, .308, 24") for only $650! Now I'm wondering if I purchased junk .

I already started researching the mag solution from Accurate Mag, but I'm pissed that I'd have to spend $200+ when a 10rnd detachable mag wasn't even part of my original criteria! And the 0MOA rail on the gun is also a bummer. I was planning on getting the Leupold VX-6 in the 7-42X so I can really try to develop some long-range skills over time. I don't think that scope has enough elevation adjustment without the 20MOA rail for 1000yd shooting, am I correct? Am I going to need to get a 20MOA rail?

And what about the threads? Is this typical of Savage, or perhaps just a random issue? I was planning on getting a PWS PRC compensator/Brake to screw on. Am I going to have problems with the darn thing staying on?

Ugh..

2. 01-26-2015, 01:34 AM
    Reason
    Inappropriate language and/or behavior.

Basic Member
    Let me Google that for you:

You can almost never go wrong with a Savage, and this tricked out Model 10 FCP-SR will most likely be judged as best in class among out of the box rifles.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sava...ew-gun-review/
    my initial impressions on shooting is i absolutely LOVE this rifle!!
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...ood-bad-49127/
    The Accurate-Mag fits a bit tighter when fully loaded and drops free easily when empty. This mag still rattles a bit, and that my bother some, but reliability is king for me—the Accurate-Mag does not effect feeding at all. The mag I used did not rattle, but it did not drop free on occasion.
    http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/savage-10-fcp-sr/
    That last one is for your mag complaint. More than one user noted that other, non-Savage-branded, AICS mags fit and did not rattle. They are nicer and cheaper than the Savage mags. The only ones who would to convince people that Savage mags are better are Savage themselves, maybe.

Here's nutnfancy's video including the FCP-SR:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimLxdHYhGQ

There are more, but hopefully that will give you a starting point for your research...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro60 View Post
    raving reviews? point me towards one. I personally only heard of wobbly mags and peeling camo. My mag holds 10 rounds just fine.
    My black aint peeling. My mags don't rattle. My threads are ****. What is not to like?

Pedro60
    everything you posted I have seen and then some. I don't have the time to copy and paste from the forums but the complaints about the old rifle have been plenty.
    Everything Savage did to the new rifle fixed those problems. As for the nutnfancy video, he covers more than the savage FCP-SR.

this link alone should tell yah how bad the old mags were. http://rapidcasekicker.com/rck-space...savage-fcp-sr/
    I have read and heard from countless reviews that the mag rattle was a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    Let me Google that for you:

That last one is for your mag complaint. More than one user noted that other, non-Savage-branded, AICS mags fit and did not rattle. They are nicer and cheaper than the Savage mags. The only ones who would to convince people that Savage mags are better are Savage themselves, maybe.

Here's nutnfancy's video including the FCP-SR:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimLxdHYhGQ

There are more, but hopefully that will give you a starting point for your research...

Basic Member
    Nutnfacy covers two guns in that video, yes, including the... FCP-SR. Because he talks about another Savage rifle his opinion of the FCP-SR has no validity?

If your sole criteria is magazine rattle, you've got me. The old Savage branded ones rattled. Of course, if you expanded your criteria to things like reliability, ability to actually hold 10 rounds, aftermarket availability or price then you might think differently.

everything you posted I have seen and then some. I don't have the time to copy and paste from the forums but the complaints about the old rifle have been plenty.
    Everything Savage did to the new rifle fixed those problems. As for the nutnfancy video, he covers more than the savage FCP-SR.

this link alone should tell yah how bad the old mags were. http://rapidcasekicker.com/rck-space...savage-fcp-sr/
    I have read and heard from countless reviews that the mag rattle was a joke!

Basic Member
    If you had read what I posted instead of just trying to tell the world how wrong everyone was for being unhappy, you would see that I like the black stock. The black stock is what pushed me over the edge in buying one because I thought the digital camo looked terrible.

I've also never said that it was a crappy rifle. I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by acridsaint View Post
    It's not junk, but it's not what all of the raving reviews were talking about. I'd say it's roughly worth what I paid for it as long as it shoots.
    You asked me to point you to one raving review, I pointed to several. Next time, you may want to word your request better. Here's an example:
    "Dear sir/ma'am, I respectfully challenge that you provide even one review that supports the point that you have just made. Should you be able to produce said review, I will, however, have to ignore it, reply with pejoratives, or simply pretend that I never made the request."

So your sole criteria for it being a crappy rifle now is black stock, non rattling mag, and 0 MOA base?

I could care less what Nutnfancy says about it. The new rifle is the same as the old one only improved on.
    My camo isn't peeling and my mag isn't rattling. And I will never be at a range that has a 1000 yard range.

You are a real internet douschbag there champ