Thread: help for Antelope hunt in Montana

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    For a non resident the best chance of getting a tag is in the North East part of the state....I haven't spent much time up there but I do know there is a lot of ranches. I'm in the South West part of the state and have a tough time getting a buck tag in the draw and my dad who is a non res has yet to draw a tag for a buck. If you want a real hunt get some doe tags, most of the time the bucks are pretty laid back during season and you can get pretty close to them easy enough, the does seem to be high strung all year and getting super close can be tough on a spot and stalk. Long shots aren't needed, I take them because I have the kit to do so, but I really like to be inside handgun range on antelope because if you just set up and ranged the animals you can have all your tags filled in a morning pretty easy.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Basic Member
    For me, id rather drive about 1800 miles (each way) to shoot 100 or more singly fed shots at prairie dogs each day, than i would travel
    that distance to shoot just a few at an antelope. There are no licence requirments in Montana for prairie dogs. And most ranchers will welcome you
    at no charge to shoot them. An ideal hunt in my opinion is to apply for the antelope tag, and if drawn plan for a combination antelope/prairie dog hunt.
    You would most likely shoot your antelope while sitting there shooting prairie dogs. Last trip we had 5 nice bucks walk to within 500 yds off to our right from
    where we were shooting at dogs. And our vehicle was parked right next to us. Its not the only time thats happened, but these were all nice bucks.