Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
Would an 06 rubicon count as a (decent) off road rig?
Lessons learned the (hard way). Planned mods like lockers dont count.
Even if 44 rears for front and back are laying in wait. ANY off road rig without lockers is just another 4 wheel drive and subject to
failure on the least bit of ice. REGARDLESS OF TIRES UNLESS STUDDED OR CHAINED.
My 79 cj7 was to my mind a good off road vehicle. And would be getting better after the addittion of the 44 rears and lockers.
But, loss of traction on a steep grade with just a trace of packed snow was enough for it to slide backward and over the edge on
a mountain road. Unfoutunatly my friend since our teen years was thrown out as the vehicle rolled and crushed as the vehicle rolled over him.
God only knows why i survived. Those who have posted here know full well what im talking about. But for others who think their 4 wheel drive
is bullet proof, think again because its a tragety waiting for the right place to happen without lockers or at the very least studded tires, and preferrably both.
And thats just for the normal driving around stuff, not what these guys are doing.
That is tragic, I agree it is important to know your gear and make sure you have the proper gear for the conditions.