Thread: reducing stock flex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.

Doubletap
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.
    I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?

ejk24
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?
    Boyds makes a few stocks for the Axis but they are all for the standard barrel models . The barrel channels can be quite easily opened up with a piece of dowel rod and heavy grit sandpaper wrapped around the dowel rod .