Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS vs XRS

CalRon

Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS vs XRS

Hey, I have a question about two of Bushnell's Elite Tactical scopes. I am trying to decide which of the two is the better scope, the ERS or XRS?

Long story short, I ended up buying the XRS over the weekend because I didn't want to miss out on the great Black Friday deals.

I did a ton of last minute research trying to pick the nicest one within my budget. Originally I was trying to decide between an SWFA 5-20 HD or a Gen 1 Vortex Razor. The search I did led me to the Bushnell DRM, and then finally to the ERS and XRS.

I decided to purchase the XRS due to the extra maginification. This will be mounted on a Savage 10PC in 308. I'm sure this is a bit overkill. I know the ERS 3.5-21 would be plenty suitable for shooting between 100-1000 yards. I decided on the XRS 4.5-30 in hopes that it will help me see holes in my targets at further distances, and also used to spot my friends when they are shooting steel out to 1000 yards.

Did I make the right decision with this purchase? Does anyone have any experience with these scopes or the difference in the quality of glass between the two? It appears that the ERS will remain on sale at Libertyoptics until December 31st, so I still have plenty of time to exchange the XRS if need be.

Well I certainly hate their "tech page" gives unhelpful units...
    If I read it correctly, that is a FFP, Mil/mil scope(the one you bought). But 50min total adjustment from a 34mm tube is wretched. That is about 15 mill total. My Primary Arms scope is a 30mm main, and has 34 mil total adjustment. The ERS is a SFP, so your adjustments don't match, worse offense in my book.
    I can't speak to the glass. The SWFA 5-20 has about the same adjustment as my PA, and has better coatings.

Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

CalRon
    The description on Bushnell is very vague. It's easy to get their product line mixed up. The 50min of adjustment, from my understanding is from the center, so it should be a total of 100. Also the DMR, ERS, and XRS are all FFP mil/mil scopes. The DMR is the older version with 3.5-21 and 5 mil locking turrets. The ERS is also 3.5-21, but with 10mil locking turrets and zero stop. The XRS is 4.5-30 with 10 mil locking turrets and zero stop. There is a 500 dollar price difference between the DMR and ERS. If I dont get the XRS, I'd probably get the DMR. I dont think 10 mil turets and a zero stop are worth $500.

Ultimately I'd like the scope with the best glass. I've read conflicting reviews on the XRS. Some say the glass is bright and clear all the way to 30x. Other say it's dark and starts to tunnel and lose resolution after 22x. So thats why I'm torn on the issue.

Basic Member
    Can't go wrong with a Vortex Razor! I'm running the 5-20x50 right now and it is very clear. The GEN-2's have a better eye box though at higher magnification, but they are very clear scopes. Beats any Night Force I've looked through!

What is the model number of the exact scope you ordered?

CalRon
    Here is the link: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...s-4-5-30x-50mm

Model# ET45305GZ

I've pretty much decided to return it for the DMR. Now I have to decide if I want the G2DMR or H59 reticle. I like the design of the H59, but think the G2 will be perfect. The G2 doesn't look too busy, yet still useful for holdovers.

Woof... that's the super expensive one. Yeah, I dunno about that total elevation number... that's not ok is it's 15mils. I guess it depends on what you're using it for and how far you wanna shoot, etc. I like both reticles, but the G2 is definitely less busy. I looked at quite a few scopes before I settled on the Viper PST. Also depends on if you think you need the 34mm tube. If you don't, the ET6245FG is a great scope, and what I almost bought, but I really wanted a zero stop.

EDIT: Just tried to do some research, and saw numbers around 28-29 mils total travel. That's much better. lol
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 12-02-2014 at 08:48 PM.

CalRon
    I appreciate you guys helping me out. I decided to return the XRS and go with the DMR. I don't need the extra features that the ERS and XRS offer, and I have faith that the glass in the DMR will be perfectly fine.

I'm really looking forward to shooting with this scope!

Oh yeah, I chose to go with the G2 reticle.

Glad you chose what you wanted.
    The ERS is a SFP:
    http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...x-50mm-mil-dot
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Glad you chose what you wanted.
    The ERS is a SFP:
    http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...x-50mm-mil-dot
    Not all of them.
    http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...x-50mm-mil-dot

Glad you settled on something. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I hear the glass is great, and it's all the magnification you need.

CalRon
    Thank you, I'm really looking forward to go shooting with it.

Just for clarification, these were the three I was trying to choose between. All three are FFP

DMR 3.5-21: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...21x-50mm-g2dmr
    ERS 3.5-21: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...s-3-5-21x-50mm
    XRS 4.5-30: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...s-4-5-30x-50mm

seanhagerty
    I have the HDMR with a TRMR2 reticle. I have plenty of elevation out to 1100yds with my 260. Great glass, FFP, no issues on any thing. I would buy this again.

As far as seeing bullet holes, I have found that mirage is usually the limiting factor in seeing the holes at distance. The higher mag just magnifies the mirage.

I bet you enjoy your new scope.

Sean

CalRon
    Thanks for the informatio, Sean. I ended up getting the G2DMR reticle. Hopefully I will receive the scope next weekend, I can't wait to go shooting with it.

Sounds like I made the right decision by returning the XRS. I'd hate to have a magnification that isn't useable. I live in Las vegas and mirage in the desert is definitely a factor.

CalRon
    Update:

I was going to refuse the XRS when UPS attempted delivery, but I wasn't around when they stopped by and dropped it off at my porch. Curiosity got the best of me and I ended up opening the package to check out the scope. I LOVE the glass and magnification on this thing. I played around with it a little bit, and I don't have any issues with full magnification. I can see that it does get a bit darker and looses resolution, but it is still very useable. I am very glad that I took a chance and opened the package. I am going to keep the XRS, I think it's perfect for my needs and the G2 reticle is AWESOME!

Haha, cool deal. Glad you like it!

Curiousity. How much total travel in the elevation turret from bottomed out to the very top?

CalRon
    I bottomed out the turret, then added the mils until I reached the very top. I counted exactly 29 mils of travel, total. I am a bit concerned. That doesn't seem like a whole lot in comparison to my SWFA 3-15. I do have a 20 moa base, so hopefully that will help.

Basic Member
    29Mils is plenty. How far do you intend on shooting?

About 100MOA equivalent.

CalRon
    I don't think I will shoot much further than 1000-1100 yards.

I took a look at my ballistics chart and it looks like I won't have to dial more than 16 mils, so i should be good to go.

Basic Member
    My 308 only needed 10Mils to 1000. Pushing the 175SMK at 2700fps. 10.1 or 10.2 with Hornady 178gr BTHP.

CalRon
    Oh wow, then I should have plenty. My ballistics table is generic and I used 2500fps for 175gr BTHP out of a 20" barrel.

I just started reloading and working on a good load for my rifle. Hopefully I will get a chronograph for Xmas so I can measure velocity.

The only thing I wish this scope had was a numerical readout for the parallax turret. Instead, it just has dots for each interval. Also, the hash marks on the elevation turret don't line up 100% perfect. Not a big deal because I still know what I'm on, but I'm OCD do I'd like them to be aligned correctly.

I'd like to get some flip-up Butler Creek caps for this scope. The eye piece is a size 19, but I can't find the correct size for the objective lens. According to Butler Creek it's a size 43, but that was way too small and wouldn't even slip on. A 44 seemed super tight. I haven't tried a 45 because I'm sick of returning these things. Anybody know what size they have for the objective lens?

Basic Member
    When you zero it you can match it up. Numbers on the parallax are just estimation set it while looking through the scope

CalRon
    Alright, cool sounds easy enough I will give it a shot.

That's pretty good, as was said earlier. SWFA stuff will have the most of most anything else out there. Out of curiosity, how much does your 3-15 have?

CalRon
    I just checked out the SS 3-15 and it has a total of 42 mils of elevation. I didn't realize how tiny this scope was. The XRS dwarfs the SS 3-15. It looks badass on my rifle.

seanhagerty
    I took my HDMR out Saturday and shot a 600 yd FClass match. I shot a 289-10X with it.

I was pretty happy to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast