Thread: New THXP 111 bolt won't close with go gauge

jjohnson636

New THXP 111 bolt won't close with go gauge

I got my Go and No Go gauges (will be barreling with a bull barrel) in today and thought I'd just try the gauges out being this would be my very first experience with bolt action and head space gauges. I find the bolt won't close on the go gauge; It doesn't close on the No go gauge as expected. I don't have my ammo yet so I can't test the action any further. I'm puzzled by this and I wonder if I'm doing something incorrect. Action is 300 win mag and gauges are Forster Headspace Go and No Go Gage Belted Magnum (.535" Base)

If this is a new rifle, try cleaning the chamber area well to remove any packing grease and try again. It is also possible, but remotely unlikely the head space was set too tight at the factory or the barrel was not fully chambered and snuck by quality control. Pick up a box of factory ammunition and carefully try one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    If this is a new rifle, try cleaning the chamber area well to remove any packing grease and try again. It is also possible, but remotely unlikely the head space was set too tight at the factory or the barrel was not fully chambered and snuck by quality control. Pick up a box of factory ammunition and carefully try one in the chamber.
    +1 , as GaCop stated, clean the chamber area well, insect the bolt head closely.

jjohnson636
    Just got ammo in and the bolt will not close when try to chamber a round. Bolt head looks ok to me, but what do I know, I'm a noob when it comes to bolt action. Also, I've received my new barrel, so I will have the opportunity to have a closer look. Maybe I'll post pics so someone with more experience can have a look and shine some light on this issue.

Dose bolt close without go gauge or cartridge, if not check for action screw & base screw being to long, have seen rear baffle installed upside down. Is extractor going over gauge/cartridge rim?

jjohnson636
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Dose bolt close without go gauge or cartridge?
    Bolt will close with empty chamber. If I chamber a round or the go gauge, the bolt will not close.
    Last edited by jjohnson636; 11-29-2014 at 04:10 PM.

If it's a new rifle, I would contact Savage customer service. Sound like the head space was set too tight. If you bought it used, you have the gauges to make it right.

jjohnson636
    It's a brand new rifle. I was going to do a barrel swap anyway so I'm unsure whether or not to take it apart if and further inspect it. I surely don't want to void my waranty

It could very well be a short chambered barrel that somehow got by quality control. Your going to re-barrel the action any way so go ahead and remove it. When you have it off, see how far the "GO" gauge sticks out of the offending barrel. The gauge should only stick out at the groove on the base of the gauge if the head space is set correctly. If it is short chambered, any good gunsmith can recut the chamber with a finish reamer.
    Last edited by GaCop; 12-02-2014 at 08:27 AM.

jjohnson636
    I talked to Savage CS today and the representative said that I have to used the recommended ammo that's in the manual, which is Winchester Ballistic silver tip. He stated the rifle was tested with a go gauge and test fired before it was shipped, but he couldn't tell me what go gauge was used. So What ammo are you guys using? I find it hard to believe that only one brand and type of ammo will work with this rifle

Basic Member
    The chances that the headspace is too short from the factory are slim to none. They are checked by minimum of 4 different people before they leave the plant. One thing I would check, is to make sure that the extractor is snapping over the rim. Sometimes if the extractor is stiff or hanging up it will not let the rim past it....giving you the impression that the cartridge or gauge is too long.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Just for the fun of it. Loose off the front stock screw about 3 turns and try to chamber your round or gauge. Tim

Basic Member
    I typically shorten a Savage front action screw by one or one and a half threads to avoid this kind of issue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    One thing I would check, is to make sure that the extractor is snapping over the rim. Sometimes if the extractor is stiff or hanging up it will not let the rim past it....giving you the impression that the cartridge or gauge is too long.
    Another thing, check to make sure the ejector will retract( push in) at least flush with the bolt face. If not it will also give the impression a case or gauge it too long.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

jjohnson636
    Well, I did a barrel swap to bull bbl and the headspace is set correctly. Bolt will close on go gauge and chamber a round, while not closing on the no go gauge. I believe the headspace wasn't set properly from the factory. I know many will disagree, but I couldn't find anything wrong with the action, bolt face, or the barrel. Thanks for all the help.