Thread: nosler 260 remington brass review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    for you guys turning necks what are you using? how do you like it? would you buy something else if money was no object?
    If money is no object you must not be married!

First of all I'd buy a modified mic from K&M....http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/mi...ification.html

A mic with a flat spindle, even with a round anvil averages the walls and only until it contacts the shoulder. The 60* spindle allows accurate measurements all the way to the shoulder and at any point along the entire neck length.

Turning tools?
    I use a old Sinclair NT1000 for touchup or small batches, maybe 10 or less. For larger quantities ....

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    If money is no object you must not be married!

First of all I'd buy a modified mic from K&M....http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/mi...ification.html

A mic with a flat spindle, even with a round anvil averages the walls and only until it contacts the shoulder. The 60* spindle allows accurate measurements all the way to the shoulder and at any point along the entire neck length.

Turning tools?
    I use a old Sinclair NT1000 for touchup or small batches, maybe 10 or less. For larger quantities ....

Bill

LOL...how'd i know you'd post up a lathe Bill...im marreid...been with the same girl for 18yrs now...why or how she puts up with me is beyond me. my thought is as long as theres food,the bills are paid and her and the kids are taken care of and we have a few bucks in the bank theres not a lot to say ...plus most of the money i spend on shooting supplies and tools is from side jobs .
    i guess i should of said "if money was no object up to about $500 bucks"...id love to have a lathe and will some day but not next week lol.

Bill is there a digital mic you'd suggest
    or is that mitutoyo the way to go and between the K&M,21st century and the PMA which tool would you choose?
    the 21st century is the best deal as far as outta pocket and uses most other makers parts. i like the K&M as well and plan on using the K&M carbide cutting pilot even if i get the 21st century tool so im leaning more towards the K&M as i like to 1 stop shop.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post

Bill is there a digital mic you'd suggest
    or is that mitutoyo the way to go and between the K&M,21st century and the PMA which tool would you choose?
    I don't know if a digital tube mic with a 60* spindle is available but there are other fixtures that will do the same thing, this one for instance...
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod39927.aspx
    I guess it mostly depends what one prefers to use and the price. Either one allows you to measure accurately all the way to the shoulder. When I turn necks I just barely nick the shoulders, maybe a .001" or so.

Using a mic or indicator with a 60* anvil allows measuring all the way to that cut.

With that said, I only have a few with tight necked chambers. My 250Imp for instance is a .283" so I need to turn the brass with bullets seated to .281". For the rest "if" I turn its only maybe 50-70%, just enough to knock off the thicker portions and true them up a little. Other than that I don't waste my time.

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 01-10-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.