Thread: Any experience with an X-Caliber barrel?

Basic Member

Any experience with an X-Caliber barrel?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these barrels?

I am thinking about trying a 26" SS in 308 Win. with a 1:10 twist... Says its throated for 190's but I usually shoot 175's and 168's...

Not yet but I've got one coming. There are lots of people here that will vouch for Jim's work though. I have another barrel from him that shoots great, and it was a Green Mountain blank. Can't wait for the new one!

Team Savage
    If Jim says they are good them I'm sure they are. I will be ordering one soon myself.

Basic Member
    I just got mine and it looks fine... Its my first aftermarket barrel so I don't know what the heck I'm looking at anyhow... I am trying to keep my expectations in check for now...

I have several and they are all top notch.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I have an x-caliber barrel coming from Apache in 260. Kinda surprised I haven't gotten it yet but I'm not in a hurry. Anyway, I have an Apache GM 25" CM 308 barrel that is throated for the 190’s and it shoots SMK 175’s very well (1" @ 200yd).

Basic Member
    That's music to my ears... LOL..

iehooligan11b
    Just got one from a member here. Awesome. Was shooting about 1/4-1/2 MOA with factory loads. Very impressed.

Just got one in the mail Saturday! Still in the box as of now but hope to test it out real soon.

Basic Member
    I'm guessing we are NOT talking about these folks...or are we?

http://www.x-caliber.net/main/xcal-page.asp?p=1

Basic Member
    We are... Spill the beans...

Basic Member
    Obviously I'm a rookie but I've read so many good things here about Apache. So Jim gets the contoured blanks from these folks and does the threading and chambering? I'm just trying to connect the dots here and it sounds like Apache is a great place to go for barrels at various price points.

Basic Member
    LOL.. I thought you knew some dirty laundry on these folks...

Honestly, I saw these on Apache's (Jim's) website and it was the exact spec barrel that I wanted and there was no wait so I kinda dove in headfirst... This is my first barrel purchase so I'm a rookie as well... But like yourself, I had read good things about Apache and just assumed that if he put them on his website they probably are pretty decent. I'll hopefully find out sooner or later if it will shoot...

Basic Member
    LOL back at you! Nope on the dirty laundry. Their website seems to indicate they are a top-tier (or working that way) barrel manufacturer. Quite frankly, I thought the prices displayed on the website were a bit high for any projects I might currently be in the market for; but that's why there are lots of barrel manufacturers for us to choose from. I'm anxious to hear how your barrel shoots as well. Good luck with your project… I love this site!

Has anybody gotten an X-Caliber barrel from Jim since he opened up orders Oct. 1? Just curious because I put in an order for a barrel that morning and still no word. Not complaining, just curious.

Jim is experiencing what the rest of have experienced. He opened his business, he's become well known & good at his work, and now he is back logged and trying his best to stay caught up and maintain his quality workmanship.

Exactly. He was trying to keep his lead time to a month or so, and I noticed he pushed his order re-opening from 11-1 to 11-8. You'll probably hear from him soon.

I have one barrel from Jim already, and one of the new X-Caliber's on order from him now. He's a great guy, runs a great business, and his workmanship is fantastic. Truly a class act.

Anyone care to share the pricing structure on these from Apache? The site just says $275 and up, which is very reasonable as long as little costs don't start adding up. I'm not looking for anything fancy, .223, 26" Varmint, 1:8, small shank.

Basic Member
    Apache has a great reputation on this board and he would not risk his reputation on an inferior barrel. I will probably invest in a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from his next summer, unless Ruger makes the American Predator in left hand 6.5 in the meantime.

Basic Member
    My experience with Jim has been excellent. 3 barrels thus far, all good. On pricing, whatever he quotes is what it is. My experience is he does not nickel and dime on stuff. He'll give you a number, you pay it, in a short while your barrel shows up. Works for me.

Bump, anyone who recently got their barrel from Jim get it mounted up and to the range yet?

Basic Member
    I got mine on and have shot it some.. This is my first aftermarket barrel experience and I'm still shooting ladders trying to figure this thing out. however I have shot a couple 100 yard groups and been right at 1/2 MOA. When I push it out to 300 yards my groups open up to 1 MOA... I'm still working on some stock fitment issues so I hate to give a concrete review right now. I will say it shoots much better than my factory sporter... LOL... I got some group pics in my build thread...

I have finally gotten to shoot my latest barrel that Jim made me, and also work more with the 444 Marlin barrel for my Striker he built for me. Both have been impressing me. I have always recommended Jim and his work since the first barrel he built for me. His work is dead on, customer service is great, and he is a man of his word. Buy with confidence. FWIW he has made the last 5 barrels I have bought and my 6th is ready to be ordered.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM