Thread: New member from down under.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallbilly View Post
    Hi JASmith,
    I like this rifle.
    Took it to the range, after a bit of zeroing, cleaning and getting some copper onto the bore it ended up consistently making holes appear in nice tight clusters.
    I'm aiming at being 1" high at 100 yards, therefore about 1" low at 200.
    Usual frustrations "How did that hole end up way over there ?", but this rifle has already proven that it will shoot straighter than my ability to aim, so can't ask for better than that.
    Already corned a goat, but I stuffed around to much, the animal got bored and walked off.
    That is a very comfortable zero, and will help you make some very interesting recreational shots and to rather precisely place the bullet when meat hunting.

I have come around to a zero of 1.5" at 100 yards (for discussion see Point Blank Range Revisited) but agree that the 1" high is excellent if you plan to keep your shooting within 200 yards.

Have you run a trajectory calculator for your favorite bullet weight and some alternative weights?

Hallbilly
    As I'm not interested in long range or high volume shooting, I'll probably be quite happy sticking with off the shelf ammo.
    The most accurate/available ammo for my remaining 308 is Remington and interesting this 223 appears to be going down the same path.
    Out to 200 yards both Remington 55 and 69 grainers appear to have very similar flight characteristics, what difference there is will not show up as I hope I'm a reasonable shot, but not a expert.
    As far as I'm concerned out to 200 yards the 223 is a flat shooter and so is the 308, within this range I not interested in adjusting for fall.
    For me the old steam driven 303 at 200 yards is also a flat shooter. When you're cold and wet, 2" high at the halfway mark and 2" low at 200 yards is still flat shooting as long as a kill is a kill.
    Last edited by Hallbilly; 11-11-2014 at 02:44 PM.