Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
We have been shooting a weekly league with mostly rimfires at half scale bowling pin sillhouettes made from scrap 2x4's, at 15 yds. Most of the shooters here are lucky to knock over all 5 with one magazine, lol....
We used to shoot regulation pins until we had some richochet problems and had to remove all hard targets and steel plates from the range. Being a director at the club, I talked them into shooting "soft " targets such as wood that would not richochet like real bowling pins. Because it is halloween, last sunday we had a "graveyard match". Instead of shooting bowling pin sillhouettes, I made some "tombstones" from 2x4's. They were 8" tall with a radiused top like an old tombstone. They were easier to hit (well, for most of us) and my best time was 4.54. Most of the times were in the 7-8 sec range.
Like I've told the guys....before you can knock them down fast, you have to knock them down, period.
We have some steel plate racks at our club and we have a monthly steel challenge with larger individual steel plates on 2x4's.
We use regulation bowling pins and you have to meet a particular power factor to participate. Nothing like a 9mm or less is allowed. I use a 45 acp. If loaded at the high end of the scale it can bounce a pin clean off the table. The organizer of the match told us to bring 22 pistols next time as we are going to cut the tops off the damaged pins and shoot them. I think we are running out of bowling pins again. I can do a lot better with my 22 pistol anyway. I have practiced a lot with it (3 cases of 22 LR in a year). I have had the 45 about 4 months or so. Good shot or not I have a lot o fun.