Thread: is stevens 200 an ok project base?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    The 200 action is the same as any comparable Savage, short action centerfeed, long action staggerfeed etc- they are the same.

You can get barrels from a number of places, Shilen, McGowan, PacNor etc, but Criterions have proven to be very, very accurate and Jim at Northland is a great guy to deal with.

Is your action centerfeed or staggerfeed? If you take the barreled action out of the stock does the magazine stay on the action or in the stock? If it stays on the action it is a staggerfeed, if it stays in the stock it is a centerfeed, that is important to know for stocks. Boyds makes a lot of great stocks for either action.

Lots of great choices for trigers as well, I went with a RifleBasix and would do it again in a heartbeat, for the money it was a quick drop in, easily adjustable and breaks light and clean while being very safe.

Keep us posted whatever you decide.

charb52
    its a long action centerfeed (mag stays in the stock). Im fine with converting it to a single shot if that makes more choices for stocks to.

as for caliber I am interested in 6.5/300wsm. I like that its different but not so different that I cant buy dies or find brass. Im open to other chamberings as well but I have to be able to get dies for it and either be 6.5 or 7mm since there is the outside chance I might hunt with it in the future

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charb52 View Post
    its a long action centerfeed (mag stays in the stock). Im fine with converting it to a single shot if that makes more choices for stocks to.

as for caliber I am interested in 6.5/300wsm. I like that its different but not so different that I cant buy dies or find brass. Im open to other chamberings as well but I have to be able to get dies for it and either be 6.5 or 7mm since there is the outside chance I might hunt with it in the future
    On my last project, I converted a Savage 110 LA into a .270 AI. It has 30" Lilja SS (#6 contour - .750" at the muzzle), 1:8", 3-groove to primarily propel the high BC 165/175 Matrix VLDS for long range hunting/shooting. My current accuracy load for the 175 is 2993 FPS.

It's topped with a Burris Veracity 4-20x 50 and has a JP Enterprise Bennie Cooley muzzle brake.

Recently installed a Horus Vision ASLI.

She delivers if I do my part ...

5 shot series at 100 yards (54gr H4350 150 NBT 3008 FPS fire-forming) ...

My last cold bore shot (200 yards 175 Matrix VLD 58gr H4831SSC BR2 Win brass) before calling it good for the hunting season. Very pleased thus far.

You have plenty of choices on chamberings; just depends on what you already have in your inventory and what you're intended purpose.

Good luck with your project and enjoy! Happy safe shooting/hunting.

varmint72
    Take a look at the 6.5-06 its a great cartridge and will feed well.