Thread: Must tell on myself

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wildboarem
    I think temp sensitivity is completely over rated period! I've killed a few Elk with the horrible RL-22. Even if you're a LR competitive shooter it doesn't matter that much and if you have good dope then you should make hits. So, for arguments sake, the difference between 3000fps and 2900fps in a .308 180gr Barnes ttsx is 3.5" of elevation at 500yds. If you miss an Elk because of your "Powder Sensitivity" under 500 yds try archery hunting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildboarem View Post
    I think temp sensitivity is completely over rated period! I've killed a few Elk with the horrible RL-22. Even if you're a LR competitive shooter it doesn't matter that much and if you have good dope then you should make hits. So, for arguments sake, the difference between 3000fps and 2900fps in a .308 180gr Barnes ttsx is 3.5" of elevation at 500yds. If you miss an Elk because of your "Powder Sensitivity" under 500 yds try archery hunting.
    My experience with temp sensitivity has nothing to do with elevation. In the worst case, when going from 20* to 70*, my 25-06 with RL19, the group opens up and I get inconsistency just as if I was using a bad load. I am talking 2 MOA rather than .5. I suppose, in a purely practical manner, shooting 2 inch groups isn't a HUGE deal, but if I didn't care about accuracy and performance, I would merely use factory loads all the time and / or I would not put effort into tweaking my loads to get the most out of them. That's what most hunters do, and that's okay with me. I just enjoy accuracy.

BTW, I am a bow hunter. I love archery. I am an accomplished competitive target archer who excelled at long range outdoor events of various distances out to 90 meters (99 yards). Even then, it was evident that success depended upon precise tuning of equipment and shooting skill. Bow tuning was a process much more involved than what most people think of when they take their bow to a tech and have him tune it at his bench. That kind of tuning works for most shooters at a fixed distance or "close enough" for most ranges from 10-30 yards, but won't cut it in a competitive situation. I suppose most archers consider bow tuning as over rated, too, but they have probably never shot an arrow into a 1/2 inch key ring at 150 yards, either. :)

To each his own. :)