Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
jhelmuth, rl17 does give really good numbers, but it is just to temp sensitive. I think it can be fine if used in a controlled environment, say where there is no big changes in temperature or strings of fire. But I think Colorado would not offer this.
RyanG, I don't know why H4350 is so hard to get in certain parts of the country? But I have heard this a lot this last year. Here on the west coast I've been pretty fortunate to get it. Not saying that it is easy to find by any means, but I've been able to get it for all my matches and that has been a lot of powder. I do hunt down little shops though that get it. Never in chain stores! Sounds like the win760 is a good load. As good as mine out of 26" barrel. I think your GTG. It is , by the way, easy to mess up when working up a load. Glad nothing was damaged!
All powders are temp sensitive....I agree some a little more than others but the RL-powders are not as bad as made out to be IMHO. Im in nevada and shoot long range varmint matches as well as a lot every weekend. No matter what powder im shooting from a 50deg morning to an 80deg afternoon I have to drop 1moa at 550+yds and 1/2moa at 330yds. The trick to shooting strings and keeping velocities in check is to not chamber the round into a hot chamber
until your on target and ready to fire. Ivd seen several good shooters not shoot so well because they work up a good load and shoot early when cool and never shoot the same load later when its hot...you probably know most of this but for those that dont take what ever powder your shooting(hogden RL imr) and your crony...shoot the first round check the speed...chamber the second round and wait 20-30sec then fire and check speed...repeat this for 5-10 rounds and I bet every round shoots faster no matter the powder...now try the same test but drop the cartage in but dont chamber it...get on target slide the bolt closed with your thumb and close the bolt(all the while eye in scope cross on target)then fire and I bet your speeds are way closer to the same.