Thread: Detective Work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    You've completely missed the point. A model 25 has no recoil lug, or pillars to support the screws. With no lug to control fore and aft movement, it relies on the screws, which are not supported by any pillars. If you study the big gaping cavity under the action you will see there is NO solid foundation to anchor anything to with any rigidity. Tightening the screws tighter will only compress the wood and actually spread the stock from lack of material, not to mention induce stress on the receiver.

By the way, I know Jim Carmichael...and his advice does not apply to this particular rifle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You've completely missed the point. A model 25 has no recoil lug, or pillars to support the screws. With no lug to control fore and aft movement, it relies on the screws, which are not supported by any pillars. If you study the big gaping cavity under the action you will see there is NO solid foundation to anchor anything to with any rigidity. Tightening the screws tighter will only compress the wood and actually spread the stock from lack of material, not to mention induce stress on the receiver.

By the way, I know Jim Carmichael...and his advice does not apply to this particular rifle.
    Apparently you misunderstood what I said.

No lugs no pillars doesn't change the method of installment of receiver to stock in any bolt. My 25 is snug and tight at the end of all receiver progress into the stock from the butt and the fore ward receiver screw that is usually the short one on a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 or Ruger 77 is screwed in tight. The method of removing the receiver and putting it right back where it is is completely sound without your mentioning of pillars (aluminum?) or lugs.