Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The .338 Edge is up and running

Scope Eye, how many loadings are you getting on the 105gr loads before the brass is toast?
    I meant to ask before and keep forgetting but what did you end up with on length on a loaded round with these 160's?
    I have them at 3.820"

I shoot 3 times then I use this tool every time after that, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...primer-pockets,
    if I do that I can get 7 firings maybe 8, if you wait until it is to loose then you can only get 5, I use that tool a lot on other calibers also.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Whoa. First time I've heard of something like that... Must do research. Lol

Drybean has a used one for sale for short money.

Dean

Looks like it was sold on 9/24 accord to the edit notes on the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I shoot 3 times then I use this tool every time after that, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...primer-pockets,
    if I do that I can get 7 firings maybe 8, if you wait until it is to loose then you can only get 5, I use that tool a lot on other calibers also.

Dean
    Dean, how long does the punch last? This works on all Large Pocket Primer holes?

Dennis

I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

[IMG][/IMG]

[QUOTE=Dennis;286451]Dean, how long does the punch last? This works on all Large Pocket Primer holes?

Hey Dennis, yes it is for large primer pockets, I have used it 100s of time and it's never broke, and I am the proverbial Bull in the China Shop.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Dang. Maybe I shoulda bought an 8lb jug of Retumbo and not H1000

Hey Dennis not for nothing, but a Daisy Red Ryder could do that with one of those Nightforce 55X that I know you are sporting.LOL

Dean

Heck, I can't hold good enough to shoot a group like that at 300yds.

Our rifle season opens this coming weekend in Texas and the Edge is going with me, hopefully I get to test them out on a critter!

D.ID
    I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.

Hey Dennis not for nothing, but a Daisy Red Ryder could do that with one of those Nightforce 55X that I know you are sporting.LOL

Dean
    Dean, thanks for the reply on the primer pocket tool. I just saw a few comments stating the punch wouldn't hold up too long.

Anyway, when I was finding my load for my 338 Edge, I had and still have a Vortex (maybe 25 power) bolted on it. In fact it's still on the rifle. I have been temped to shoot it @ 600 yards, but the 7,000 grains of powder necessary to do so has kinda put a hold on that project. Who knows, maybe one day.

And "BarrelBurner", those shots were probably my 15th to 18th shots when I shot that group. My shoulder had about as much as it could take Using the Berger 300's. I feel lucky to have shot that group. I am glad Dean turned me on to the 160's as my shoulder doesn't feel nothing when shooting them.

I was about to give up tuning this thing in, and a person (I forget who) PM'd me and said Retumbo would be my best friend. That's all he said, no load info given. I tried it and have loved the rifle since.

As you can see, even with this rifle and 300's, a few grains of powder makes a difference. I would never have believed it unless I experienced it myself.

I also have the tuned stock accu-trigger on the rifle. I didn't do anything but bed the stock on this rifle. I plan on only using it for hunting.

Process: I bought a 7mm donor, changed the barrel to the 338 Edge, bedded the action/stock, mounted the Vortex scope, tweaked the trigger, and that's it folks. One of the most accurate cheapest rifles I have ever built. Kudo's to Mr. ScopeEye for making all the suggestions when I was building it and started trying out different loads.

Again, Thanks to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.
    I still can't imagine anything being hit with a 300 grain bullet out of the 338 Edge, maybe this season for me. The 160's @ over 4,200fps will also do the job right.

Dean, thanks for the reply on the primer pocket tool. I just saw a few comments stating the punch wouldn't hold up too long.

Anyway, when I was finding my load for my 338 Edge, I had and still have a Vortex (maybe 25 power) bolted on it. In fact it's still on the rifle. I have been temped to shoot it @ 600 yards, but the 7,000 grains of powder necessary to do so has kinda put a hold on that project. Who knows, maybe one day.

And "BarrelBurner", those shots were probably my 15th to 18th shots when I shot that group. My shoulder had about as much as it could take Using the Berger 300's. I feel lucky to have shot that group. I am glad Dean turned me on to the 160's as my shoulder doesn't feel nothing when shooting them.

I was about to give up tuning this thing in, and a person (I forget who) PM'd me and said Retumbo would be my best friend. That's all he said, no load info given. I tried it and have loved the rifle since.

As you can see, even with this rifle and 300's, a few grains of powder makes a difference. I would never have believed it unless I experienced it myself.

I also have the tuned stock accu-trigger on the rifle. I didn't do anything but bed the stock on this rifle. I plan on only using it for hunting.

Process: I bought a 7mm donor, changed the barrel to the 338 Edge, bedded the action/stock, mounted the Vortex scope, tweaked the trigger, and that's it folks. One of the most accurate cheapest rifles I have ever built. Kudo's to Mr. ScopeEye for making all the suggestions when I was building it and started trying out different loads.

Exactly what I want to hear. I've got a donor action from a 270 that I'll be using, barrel is on the way. Think I'm gonna spring for a NSS lug and barrel nut too. Plan to bed it in a Boyds stock. I've got 250 300gr hybrids and 8lb of H1000 to start, although it looks like I need to be on the lookout for some Retumbo. Guess we'll see when I get it all together. lol

Thanks for the kind words Dennis, now that the secret is out on those 160s, just a heads up the 185s work just as well with only 200 FPS less, and with 95gr of RL17 or 100gr of RL19, as far as the longevity of the punch, as rare as 300RUM brass is right now, if you extend the life of 50 cases it has paid for itself.

Dean

PS: Dennis I rag on you about that 55X Nightforce only because I am jealous.LOL

D.ID
    I still can't imagine anything being hit with a 300 grain bullet out of the 338 Edge, maybe this season for me. The 160's @ over 4,200fps will also do the job right.
    No doubt.
    On a side note:
    I could not help but noticed running the numbers threw JBM that the 160@4200 vs 300smk@2780 (my mildest load) show at 900 yards you would have almost twice as much wind deflection, half as much energy at impact and about 30 fps slower with the 160s.

That really makes you feel good to get a shooter without breaking the bank. But I think the shooter deserves more credit, thats impressive at 300yds with a big boomer!

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    No doubt.
    On a side note:
    I could not help but noticed running the numbers threw JBM that the 160@4200 vs 300smk@2780 (my mildest load) show at 900 yards you would have almost twice as much wind deflection, half as much energy at impact and about 30 fps slower with the 160s.
    That load was never intended for 1000 yards, I developed it for half that length, and so you would not have to even think about elevation @ 500 it is some thing like 4 min, that and also to allow you to get more trigger time without throwing out your shoulder, and lets not forget about the vapor trail there is no price for that spectacle.

Dean

That load was never intended for 1000 yards, I developed it for half that length, and so you would not have to even think about elevation @ 500 it is some thing like 4 min, that and also to allow you to get more trigger time without throwing out your shoulder, and lets not forget about the vapor trail there is no price for that spectacle.

Dean
    Thats what sold me on this load. I ran the trajectory with a 375 yd zero the point blank range is pretty impressive.

D.ID
    Got ya, that makes sense. I don't do anything at point blank so I forget that most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Exactly what I want to hear. I've got a donor action from a 270 that I'll be using, barrel is on the way. Think I'm gonna spring for a NSS lug and barrel nut too. Plan to bed it in a Boyds stock. I've got 250 300gr hybrids and 8lb of H1000 to start, although it looks like I need to be on the lookout for some Retumbo. Guess we'll see when I get it all together. lol
    You will have to change the bolthead going from a 270 to the 338 Edge, FYI

Yeah, I'm already on that. Found someone here actually that's going to swap me.

Got to try this thing out on an Aoudad Sheep this past weekend. Terminal ballistics were impressive especially with a very conservative load.
    Looks like two shots but was only one.

Basic Member
    Oh wow, that looks like you could put your hand in either of those holes. I have a 338 rum and am currently working on a load for a 300 grain berger elite hunting bullet using us869 (cant find any retumbo). I am considering trying it out on a white tail this season if I have an opportunity. May I ask how bad that audad was under the skin? I will try something else if it was to much destruction.

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast