Thread: 338 edge questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, they are done simple questions I just wanted to run by you before placing some orders:

1- brass prep, anything other than necking up 300 rum brass in a 338 rum die? Die suggestions?

2. Load data just start at 338 rum and work up?

3. What headspace gauge to use?

4. I've never owned a 338 diameter before, how light of a contour can you go before you loose stiffness?

5. Opinions of McGowan turbo brake?

This will be a repeater hopefully, picked up an old ultra mag action that can accept bullets up to 3.8" or so, action won't fit standard long action stock I'll have too look into that.

Thanks in advance!
    1- Yes, it's that easy. I use a set of Lee 338RUM dies and an RCBS 375RUM FL dit. The Lee FL die is used for expanding/sizing the neck and bumping the shoulder. The Lee seater for seating the bullets. The RCBS is used for FL sizing the case everywhere but the neck.
    2- There is a bunch of load data around for the Edge. I'd start with Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge website. He is the daddy of the Edge. Lots of information and load data. Be aware, a few years ago Hodgon changed the burn rate of H1000. Before the change if was much slower powder (Edge data was in the 94-96g with a 300SMK), now most have a max load around 92g. So be careful with H1000 load info. All of my Edge's loved H1000, they just needed a new load workup after the change.
    3- Use a 300RUM gauge to headspace.
    4- There is no definitive answer to this. How stiff do you want/need it? Most go for factory Varmint, that may be too light or heavy for you.
    5- Skip it. This chamber gives plenty of gas for the brake to redirect. A baffle style with no holes on the bottom work best when shooting prone. Ross Schuler brake and install is a cheap and very effective solution.

A RUM action should fit a regular long action stock. The only difference was the mag box. And, if I remember correctly the old RUM mag boxes were only 3.6". Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Good luck on your build.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    1- Yes, it's that easy. I use a set of Lee 338RUM dies and an RCBS 375RUM FL dit. The Lee FL die is used for expanding/sizing the neck and bumping the shoulder. The Lee seater for seating the bullets. The RCBS is used for FL sizing the case everywhere but the neck.
    2- There is a bunch of load data around for the Edge. I'd start with Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge website. He is the daddy of the Edge. Lots of information and load data. Be aware, a few years ago Hodgon changed the burn rate of H1000. Before the change if was much slower powder (Edge data was in the 94-96g with a 300SMK), now most have a max load around 92g. So be careful with H1000 load info. All of my Edge's loved H1000, they just needed a new load workup after the change.
    3- Use a 300RUM gauge to headspace.
    4- There is no definitive answer to this. How stiff do you want/need it? Most go for factory Varmint, that may be too light or heavy for you.
    5- Skip it. This chamber gives plenty of gas for the brake to redirect. A baffle style with no holes on the bottom work best when shooting prone. Ross Schuler brake and install is a cheap and very effective solution.

A RUM action should fit a regular long action stock. The only difference was the mag box. And, if I remember correctly the old RUM mag boxes were only 3.6". Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Good luck on your build.
    ^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^
    + I run three and while they all run different velocities: one runs rem brass, two run nosler. one runs sierra bullets, two run berger. They each have there own designated lot of H1000 (different lots). Basically all different animals. They all found sweet spots at 89.0 grains for best accuracy, Not a max load but the most accurate tested in two out of three and very close in the third (close enough) and the one load that shot better in the third only shoots 0.1 moa better and loosens primer pockets to do it. ............At 89.0 my brass has lasted well beyond expectations.
    P.S. If running remington brass it is definitely worth sorting very thoroughly.

the coal is 4 inches long, and you are not going to see 3100 FPS, and not in a Savage action, not with something giving up the ghost anyway.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.