Thread: Base options with 30mm Sig. ZEE rings

TOO Builder

Base options with 30mm Sig. ZEE rings

I have been on a quest to find the lowest possible base options for use with the 30mm tube scopes I have when using Burris Sig. ZEE medium rings. Here is what I have found...

This is my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with Butler Creek flip ups sitting on my barreled action. It is a target action with a prefit Shilen barrel. The bases are Burris Extreme Tactical two piece #410615. This is the best combination I have found for this scope to get it as low as possible. I set my 6-24x50 4200 Tactical on top and it would NOT work, bases to low. For that combination I tried the EGW HD one piece rail and it worked very well. The Farrell one pc. rail works however it is about .10" taller then the EGW. With the Burris two pc. bases and a 50mm obj. scope you would need to go to high rings.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_4076_1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_4083_1.jpg[/img]
    I also tried the Weaver #46S two piece bases. They are very similar in height to the Burris two pc. I much prefer the Burris two piece bases over the Weavers as the Weavers only have one cross slot compared to three on the Burris which allow much greater flexibility in mounting various scopes to get proper eye relief. I hope this helps with some mounting questions. TB

Re: Base options with 30mm Sig. ZEE rings

One of my guns has a similar setup, and just barely fits. Remember yours will get a tad lower when you actually tighten up the rings.

Viper 6.5-20x50 with medium Signature zee rings, on Warne steel 2pc bases. The bases are almost the same as yours in height, but the 50m Viper would not fit with the 0 inserts in. If I raise it with the +10 inserts in the front and rear the scope will BARELY fit. I can slide a pc of paper between the scope and barrel, but cannot slide 2 pcs of paper between them. It is actually too low for me, so I just ordered a set of high rings for it.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/march079.jpg[/img]
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

TOO Builder

Re: Base options with 30mm Sig. ZEE rings

pdog, yes that is close. I just measured the obj. of my SIII 6-24x50 and it measures .118" smaller dia. than the 4200 Tactical so there is of course differences between manufacturers dimentions. I think the Sightron may work in the Burris two pc. base and medium ZEE ring combo. The EGW HD would work for sure. I'm not pulling the Sightron to check for sure though, I just got done re-zeroing it over the weekend not going to mess around with it. Doggin season is too close .