Well I finally got my new 22-250 put together. The barrel is a McGowen 26 inch, stainless, sitting in a Boyds classic hunter that has been bedded, EGW 20 MOA base, Warne rings, Vortex Viper HSLR glass and a Rifle Basix trigger. I should add that I had the throat set back to take the VLDs at 2.685".

I got it out yesterday and put about 45 rounds through it working on a load. I started with RL19 @ 35.9 grains gave me a speed of 2980 and over an inch group. IMR 4350 @ 34.2 grains with speed of 2923 also just over an inch, but showed some promise I think with some tweeking. IMR 4831 with 34.8 grains with an average speed of 2981 with almost a 2 inch group. I was starting to get a little discouraged with my results when I tried the last group of rounds loaded with Winchester 760 at 34.9 grains with an average speed of 2999 with a group at just over 3/4". Now the Berger manual lists all of these rounds in the high 3100 to over 3200 fps. They are usually on the conservative side with their load data from my experience. I took the Winchester 670 all the way up to 36.2 grains with an average speed of 3200 fps with a group size down to .314" (all at a 100 from bags in the prone). I am more than happy with the group size and really the speed too. I am just no where the speed that Berger lists for a grain and a half less. I am assuming that I am able to go over so much in powder weight is because I have the bullets seated so far out. I also should note that I have no sighs of any pressure at this point. With that said I am not going to go any heavier either.

The Hornady Manual lists their charge for the 80 grain Amax at 37.3 grains with a speed of about 3150, I believe. (I know that the bullets are different so I am kind of comparing apples to oranges). But is the Berger manual off that much and what should I be expecting for the 90s? Am I missing something or maybe I just have a slower barrel..... Either way I cant wait to drop a coyote with it here soon. Man its a pleasure to shoot! And that long 80 grain Berger is SEXY... lol

Ryan