Thread: I'm new and any help will do

64cuda

I'm new and any help will do

Hey everyone, nice to join in this forum, but also the Savage shooting community. So I scored on a sweet deal, picked up a Savage model 10 FCP HS Percision in 308. Then a few weeks later got a Leupold Mark IV fixed 16 power with M1 1/4 MOA clicks turrets. A Versa Pod up front. I plan to pick up a Nightforce 20MOA base, and I have a set of ARMS rings but they're quick detach so i'll probably be looking for new ones. I also plan to shoot a Sierra match King 175 grain bullet. I know when my friend had the gun he could hold groups within a quarter at 100 yards. I live in Tooele, UT the altitude is 1537m/ 5043ft.

So I do not know or understand long range shooting at all. I got such a good deal on this and believe it to be a quality set up I want to learn ! So anyone here running a similar set up? Any information you can give me would help. Bullet drop tables, gear to use, things to change. A ballistics calculator I could download or should buy. how far could I expect to shoot? I'm not in a huge hurry to get started I'd rather just get all my equipment set up first and have a general understanding of how to use it .

My Internet connection at work wont allow me to check this forum so if you'd like you can email me at esinger84.es@gmail.com or text/call (435)849-1964

thanks for any help!

DzNutz
    Start by watching the long range shooting video series from TiborasaurusRex and others like him:

TiborasaurusRex Siper 101 - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqymwlCbVwpMnSLrd-NAQJQ
    The Road to Precision, Educational Series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...31A83F7643E23C

Basic Member
    Read anything written by Bryan Litz

64cuda
    thanks, will do. I have the Magpul video The Art of the Precision Rifle. Took me about 3 times of watching/ stopping and looking up terms to get a half ass idea of what they are talking about. and then just other parts were things I don't need to worry about ( different reticles and other stuff )
    Side question for you guys? my Leupold Mark 4 with the M1 1/4 click turrets should be a great optic to run correct ? I have a few people telling me I need a Mill/Mill turrets

Broke_Okie_Ty
    Quote Originally Posted by 64cuda View Post
    I have a few people telling me I need a Mill/Mill turrets
    ^^^^for this, read this ---> http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/0...ve-comparison/

DzNutz
    Personal preference. I have MOA reticle /MOA turrets with the Vortex Viper and love it that way now. Had to relearn ranging with MOA hashes from my Mildot reticle on the BSA, but just a different algorithm for me.

64cuda
    After doing some more reading, thanks again for the articles. I see it's not the preferred style but seems that any way you go you will need to learn something new. Mine will just require more math. Planned overcome with a good ballistics calculator if anybody can recommend one either download or the bye, and good note taking but seems that would be the best for any system.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.