Thread: Really weird groupings of of my savage 111 30-06 -- no idea what's going on, need hlp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tex_Hunter
    You said 111 so I'm assuming a package rifle? If so change you rings an bases out for a set of Talley lightweight 1 pieces rings, (base is integrated with the ring so it is way stronger and easier to set up). That's the cheapest option after you check anything that can be for free such as tightening action screws and check the barrel channel for good free float. My package gun could slide 3 business cards all the way bak to the action so I doubt it is that but check anyways.
    I had the exact same issue with my 10xp and the talley bases locked everything down, I was so pleased and now they are the only base I use on anything other than tactical rifles. Just put a set on a $1200 Remington varmint rifle to replace a leu pops dovetail mount when I stepped up to a 30mm tube scope so don't let the price make you think they are no good.
    Spend some time on google and you will see the same thing "my savage won't shoot good groups or hold zero help!!!" and it's always those cheap bases and rings that savage put on them. Mine looked less quality than some air rifle scope mounts.

Tex_Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex_Hunter View Post
    You said 111 so I'm assuming a package rifle? If so change you rings an bases out for a set of Talley lightweight 1 pieces rings, (base is integrated with the ring so it is way stronger and easier to set up). That's the cheapest option after you check anything that can be for free such as tightening action screws and check the barrel channel for good free float. My package gun could slide 3 business cards all the way bak to the action so I doubt it is that but check anyways.
    I had the exact same issue with my 10xp and the talley bases locked everything down, I was so pleased and now they are the only base I use on anything other than tactical rifles. Just put a set on a $1200 Remington varmint rifle to replace a leu pops dovetail mount when I stepped up to a 30mm tube scope so don't let the price make you think they are no good.
    Spend some time on google and you will see the same thing "my savage won't shoot good groups or hold zero help!!!" and it's always those cheap bases and rings that savage put on them. Mine looked less quality than some air rifle scope mounts.
    Whoops jumped the gun, saw you are using an aftermarket mount and scope. My bad. You may want to still check your mount hasn't come loose but I would bet it's a combination of action screws loose and bag causing the forearm to touch the barrel under pressure. Also with 100rds you probably should give a good thorough clean like others have said. You might want to consider saving some time and putting it into a nice laminate stock like a Boyd's prairie hunter model. $100 for a rock solid stock another $50-100 to pillar and bed would be a very good investment.