Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first pillar bedding job need help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I thought a wood bit was a regular bit. That should tell you something abut my advice!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I thought a wood bit was a regular bit. That should tell you something abut my advice!

Yeah, I should has said regular "Twist" drill bit. I guess it falls under the classification "I hope you think you know what I thought I meant"

But, I gotta an "axcuss" A guy was here pick'n up his 788 I had done some work on. He was yack'n, I was yack'n, I was type'n, he was yack'n..... And age ain't help'n any edder.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Oh sorry I think I was thinking a wood bit was a regular bit too I guess. I didnt think about the bits with the wing blade things and the centering point in the middle and I bet thats what billpa was thinking when I said "wood bit" which very well might be technically right Im not sure. Sorry for the confusion! and thanks ya I wondered if brake cleaner would work. I might look and see about action cleaner. Is there a specific brand you like? where do you get it? midway, brownells something like that?

Basic Member
    Action cleaner: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...action+cleaner

BTW, BillPA is the man on any of this stuff. :)
    Last edited by foxx; 09-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Basic Member
    Ya I didn't even think of the difference in bits! And thanks for the link

badmutha6
    I was looking and I had to second the question on whether or not to go all the way through the stock when drilling?

Basic Member
    you must go all the way thru. The rear pillar should sit on the top of the trigger guard and the front on top of the DBM surround. If there is no DBM surround, it should still pass thru the stock so that there is no wood between it and the screw head. The only purpose of the pillars is to prevent the action screws from compressing the stock material and therefore, over time, changing the applied screw torque.

badmutha6
    Thanks Foxx. I'm about to do my dads wood stock on his 22-250 and skim bed my hog hunter after a really helpful talk with Billpa, who is indeed the man.

Basic Member
    I ordered a one pound can of devcon tonight as well as pillars from stockys. I hope they work out ok. Picked up neutral kiwi shoe polish, playdo, plumbers putty, frog tape, and black tape last night from walmart. Soon as the devcon and pillars show up I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for the help and I'll try to take pics as I go.

Basic Member
    Good! Just curious... why playdo and plumber's putty? (I prefer plumbers putty, just wondering if you have different applications in mind for each??)

LongRange
    Good! Just curious... why playdo and plumber's putty? (I prefer plumbers putty, just wondering if you have different applications in mind for each??)
    use the plumbers putty playdo works but dries out pretty fast...make sure you dam up every place you dont want the devcon and plug ALL the holes in you action with putty.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    use the plumbers putty playdo works but dries out pretty fast...make sure you dam up every place you dont want the devcon and plug ALL the holes in you action with putty.
    \

I agree, LongRange. My question was why yotehatr bought BOTH?

LongRange
    \
    I agree, LongRange. My question was why yotehatr bought BOTH?
    Gotcha...the playdo Is to keep the kids busy while he beds his riffle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    use the plumbers putty playdo works but dries out pretty fast.
    Play-Doh or plumber's putty either way, mix a few drops of vegetable cooking oil in it. It will stay in place, prevent it from drying out and make it easier to remove when doing the final cleanup.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Play-Doh or plumber's putty either way, mix a few drops of vegetable cooking oil in it. It will stay in place, prevent it from drying out and make it easier to remove when doing the final cleanup.

Bill
    Thanks I didn't know that! Good tip there

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post

Bill
    good to know thanks.

Basic Member
    I bought the playdo just because I found it first and didn't put it away before I got to the check out lol. Thought it may come in handy anyway and was only .88 and worst come to worst the kid will play with it. It'll probably end up just goin in the kids playdo collection.

Basic Member
    That's pretty much my standard MO as well. :)

Just checking to be sure you didn't get confused about what to do, giving all the options and various ways to do this and the fact there really isn't a comprehensive instruction / guide anywhere on the hows and why's. You kinda have to pull it together from a lot of different sources.

brushcreek
    I made a few pictures the other day when I was installing pillars in a customer's stock. These photos show how I make pillars from 9/16" 6061-T6 aluminum dowels. I didn't take pictures of how to enlarge holes in an existing stock using just a drill press, but you can do it, just like I drill centered holes in the aluminum dowels, just reverse the procedure to line up with a tight fitting drill bit in the existing stock bolt hole, clamp the stock upside down in your drill press with the drill bit chucked and lowered into the hole. (don't turn on the drill press yet!) After the stock is clamped in place and can't shift, raise the drill, swap the drill bit for one that fits your pillars. I use a 9/16" router bit to drill the holes. I set the drill press to the slowest speed, turn it on and drill the hole. Any blowout because the cut isn't backed by anything is fine. It's on the inside of the stock where it will be filled by Devcon 1010 when the barreled action and pillars are glued into the stock. Here's a link to my Facebook photo album where I put the photos and description in a photo album. If the link doesn't work for those not logged into Facebook, let me know and I'll make another posting to show how to do this upgrade to your rifle with only a drill press, bit to match your aluminum barrel stock and a .260" drill bit to make the stock bolt hole in the pillar. https://www.facebook.com/hal.dougher...0320399&type=3

Thought I'd add a couple of my own tips...

[1] Use Devcon 10110 in the following ratio (by weight) 9:1 (putty to hardener). I like to use the wife's scale in grams because I can get the ratios more accurate, but you could use oz if that's all you have. I find 81 grams of putty to 9 grams of hardener will be enough for most any Savage bedding job (you will waste a fair bit - but it's most important to make the mix as good as possible). Optionally, just use 3 oz and the 3/8 oz of hardener - not as accurate, but more than enough so to do the job.

[2] Be sure to do the pillars and bedding all at the same time. Keep the action bolts centered in the pillars by wrapping them with painters tape until their diameter is just less than the hole diameter of your pillars. That will not only center them properly and keep them from having a negative impact on the rifles accuracy, but it will also act to keep unwanted Devcon from making its way into the pillar bolt interface. I like to use cut-off bolts and a cut down 1/4-28 nut to just snug the pillar against the action (not tight - just so it makes firm contact - nothing more). Take off the trigger assembly so you will avoid getting Devcon in it and it will also just be easier to ensure there is no mechanical lock when you go to remove the action.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12